Getting sick salesbarn calves on feed quicky ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
I use vitamin B, Banimine, MuSe, and sprinkle sweet creep on their hay.

When does cider vinegar or a probiotic bolus or other supplements fit in?

Stocker Steve":1bzffl5s said:
I use vitamin B, Banimine, MuSe, and sprinkle sweet creep on their hay.

When does cider vinegar or a probiotic bolus or other supplements fit in?

When I kept my own or bought-in others, I always started them from the beginning with a protein/molasses block, not a DDG block like Sweet-Pro. It was a sure-fire way to get them eating. Might help to keep them on the blocks for a month or so. I only bought one and once it was gone, usually after 2 weeks, they didn't get a 2nd.

I don't start the feed for a few days. I put up a little hay just for starting sale barn calves on. Quicker they eat, the less suppressed their immune system is my thinking. I also go old school, and put out some loose salt. Most will nose in it a little, and it'll hopefully encourage them to drink. I don't know if any of that helps or not, but I have a little routine for sale barn calves that seems to work for me anyway.

I have an old vet friend who likes to remind people that "healthy gut is a healthy cow". After a few years of hearing that and working around dairy cows where you really see feed consumed and it's relationship to cattle health I've become a believer in probiotics.
I can also say first hand that over the last year I've gone from a set in stone schedule where I was literally doing certain things at the exact same time seven days a week to having no schedule at all and it made me feel sick for a while even though there's nothing wrong with me. I started taking probiotics and it did smooth things out to where I at least can eat right.

cow pollinater":176fa8wa said:
I have an old vet friend who likes to remind people that "healthy gut is a healthy cow". After a few years of hearing that and working around dairy cows where you really see feed consumed and it's relationship to cattle health I've become a believer in probiotics.

Stress lick tubs and probiotics both sound like good ideas.
I called the 2015 market bottom and put 34 co mingled sales barn 4 wts into the yard. I have pulled 5 so far, treated them, and left them in the sick pen. Two are chowing down the feed, but the other three stand there and just nibble a little...
When/how often would you give a bolus to a 4 wt. calf that has been treated for IBR with a 7 day antibiotic?