getting screwed at a sale?

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I have a sale that I am not going to be able to attend but i would like to buy some of the cattle. I am concerned that I am in a vulnerable position by not being there. the rep. wanted my max amount per head on individual items. I didn'd give them one I said i would just bid live on the phone and whatever mood I was in is how high I would go. Is there any trick that sales use to increase bids for people that are their or bidding off site. Thanks for any info to look out for.

With phone bids you should be able to hear the auctioneers bid calling. It will normally be about 5 second delay. The bid taker that you are using is supposed to give the up to the second bid.

My experience with having a maximum bid in place is that I've never gotten an animal at below my maximum bid. I don't feel that anything dishonest happened, but if he has a bid for $2500, frequently that's where they will try to start the bidding. Even when they drop back some, they'll push harder and maybe make the bid increments larger. Live phone bids you can have the option of adjusting your maximum if desired.

dun

txag":36z3qjxn said:
a phone bid is probably the better option.

Buying cattle over the phone seems to me like doing certain other things over the phone. It's definitely getting more popular and some people seem to find satisfaction that way. Call me old fashioned, but if I can't be there I'm not interested.

Craig-TX

guest":l2jctlyc said:
I have a sale that I am not going to be able to attend but i would like to buy some of the cattle. I am concerned that I am in a vulnerable position by not being there. the rep. wanted my max amount per head on individual items. I didn'd give them one I said i would just bid live on the phone and whatever mood I was in is how high I would go. Is there any trick that sales use to increase bids for people that are their or bidding off site. Thanks for any info to look out for.

Buying at auctions can be difficult (i.e., keeping up with the bidding), and the fast pace demands you know your bottomline, the livestock, etc. I would think buying at auction absentee and trusting a representative to purchase a quality animal for you would be even more precarious. Even if you told the rep to "Don't buy anything you wouldn't pay for and keep yourself" that doesn't always work either. (Buying shares of anything on Stock Market is one thing--buying livestock or land unseen is another thing...).

The few times we've done it we've spent a day or sometimes two going to inspect the animals but couldn't be present for the sale. Prior commitments, not wanting to haul the trailer a long way and then hauling it bakc empty, etc.
Although we did haul it back empty last week-end. I had planned on phone bidding, but just "knew" we were going to pick up a couple. Obviously other people thought they were worth a whole lot more then we did.

dun

Running Arrow Bill":2a0pug29 said:
guest":2a0pug29 said:

Buying at auctions can be difficult (i.e., keeping up with the bidding), and the fast pace demands you know your bottomline, the livestock, etc. I would think buying at auction absentee and trusting a representative to purchase a quality animal for you would be even more precarious. Even if you told the rep to "Don't buy anything you wouldn't pay for and keep yourself" that doesn't always work either. (Buying shares of anything on Stock Market is one thing--buying livestock or land unseen is another thing...).

I think you should be there in person .. or perhaps have a friend that can be there to bid for you. I wouldn't give a maximum bid to a staff member.. I'm pretty sure everyone will know about your bid before the sale starts.