Getting scarey around here

Help Support CattleToday:

Calman

Reaction score
what with all the knee high dry grass and no moisture for quite a while and windy most everyday.
We sure don't need any repeat fires.

Cal

Calman":2vos299k said:
what with all the knee high dry grass and no moisture for quite a while and windy most everyday.

Cal

I was burning some trees in a pile the other day and a spark got over to the hay rack both bales went to burning.
I had cleared all the ground around the brush pile. Jumped on the tractor ran down dumped the hayrack and got it out of the fire and cleared the grass around the burning hay with my root rake. As I was coming back up to the house neighbor drove up hollered, I brought your box blade back. He hollered you burning old hay I hollered back nope my new hay. :shock: Here's my sign.

Done things like that myself. :lol: :lol:
Makes me wonder some days why I even bothered to get out of bed.

Cal

Cal the dust is blowing with every step the cows take. I moved the hay cradles up above the red clay hill just to keep that sandy loam from blowing into the next pasture. Cut a 40 foot gap in the fence so they could go straight from the hay cradles to the stock tank. They had already cut a 14 inch trench in the best field I have going back and forth. It is indeed extremely dry. We're darn lucky it isn't 100 degree days right now.

No what ya mean Boogie. We do have a good stock of hay and the pastures are still good,but no winter grass.
But what's scary we do have a burn ban on and you see people tossing there cigg. but out the window.
Should be legal to shoot people like that. :mad:

Calman":3mbnvtgc said:
No what ya mean Boogie. We do have a good stock of hay and the pastures are still good,but no winter grass.
But what's scary we do have a burn ban on and you see people tossing there cigg. but out the window.
Should be legal to shoot people like that. :mad:

They lifted our burn ban and shouldn't have. I have some sloughs in my back woods I have never seen dry this time of year in my lifetime and they are bone dry. They are usually full of greenheads and woody's.
Every stock tank or pond you see driving down the road is way low.
My bottom pasture is usually so wet that the only thing that will get through is an ATV, I drove the wife's SUV around in it Wednesday.
Cal there is no winter grass anywhere around here and lots of people planted. This is the first year I didn't plant the bottom. For some reason I have never figured out why I have to replant it ever year. My east and back pasture reseed themselves and have a good stand of rye grass. Those two pastures are rye grass green with absolutely no growth.

Caustic Burno":mp2ryw20 said:
Cal there is no winter grass anywhere around here and lots of people planted. This is the first year I didn't plant the bottom. For some reason I have never figured out why I have to replant it ever year. My east and back pasture reseed themselves and have a good stand of rye grass. Those two pastures are rye grass green with absolutely no growth.

Don't know Caustic, but maybe it is usually to wet. Last year it was extremely wet for 6 weeks. Places I should have had ryegrass didn't and the oats that was their didn't do well till it began drying out. Could be that being to wet is just as bad as to dry when it is little.

Nothing I planted since june came up. Of course the weeds came up really thick but I didn;t plant them

Caustic Burno":fx9alht9 said:
Calman":fx9alht9 said:

Cal

I was burning some trees in a pile the other day and a spark got over to the hay rack both bales went to burning.
I had cleared all the ground around the brush pile. Jumped on the tractor ran down dumped the hayrack and got it out of the fire and cleared the grass around the burning hay with my root rake. As I was coming back up to the house neighbor drove up hollered, I brought your box blade back. He hollered you burning old hay I hollered back nope my new hay. :shock: Here's my sign.
:lol: :lol:

I know we got a really good rain back when I was a kid. Dad had set duck eggs under a chicken. The eggs hatched. About two weeks later it rained cats and dogs and all the little ducks were having a blast with momma chicken going nuts running around and around that big puddle.

backhoeboogie":1hurbzmd said:
I know we got a really good rain back when I was a kid. Dad had set duck eggs under a chicken. The eggs hatched. About two weeks later it rained cats and dogs and all the little ducks were having a blast with momma chicken going nuts running around and around that big puddle.
Funny you should mention that. My MiL also says when she was a girl they gave some duck eggs to a setting hen. Said as the ducklings grew and would waddle down to the pond that hen would lose it completely. :lol2:

When the cold front came through Saturday night, we got 9/10" but you sure wouldn't think it to look at the ground. Grateful for it just the same! Forecast calls for lows in the teens tonight - pretty dang cold for south AL!

When I was in west Texas in 2006 had an older man, probably 80, tell me he had seen it rain but would like for his son and grandson to see it. :)
The way things looked and burned I don't think he was far from wrong.

I quit going in the fields with the truck to cube the cattle,got to smelling like burnt grass underneath the truck.Even walked back and looked for about 20 minutes to make sure nothing was burning.

Cal

Seen several semi's loaded with hay yesterday on US 190 heading east. Now thats a first we are usually shipping it out not importing it. It is as dry as a powder house here, never seen it this dry in the winter. Heck we are usually just wanting it to quit raining for a day or two.

Latest posts