Getting Rid of the Land Line

Help Support CattleToday:

Are you talking about telephones? We don't have a landline at our house and we get along fine with the cells.

Only downfall I see is you won't be in the phone book. I guess that could be good but there are some situations where this could be important.

We got rid of ours last year after my son's accident. Spending 2 months away from home at the hospital, cells were the only way anyone could reach us. Besides that cells seem to be the only way to catch us on the run! Funny how we got by without them years ago!

I've thought about getting rid of it. If I did I wouldn't get to hang up on the pollsters. :D Can you believe 3 in the past week :mad: and I wouldn't have a backup plan for Internet service. Then as already stated about phone book listing. Course if you look me up you won't find me in it, you just have to realize that the number is still listed under Dad's name.

I've been trying to get rid of mine, but someone has convinced my wife that if you dial 911 from your landline, they know where you are calling from without you telling them, and she thinks this is important for some reason... I'm not sure it's worth the extra phone bill. Can someone help me? :???:

Far as I know, they can find out where your cellphone is anytime they want to know. Far as that goes, if I'm not in the house the cellphone is in my pocket (99% of the time). Never use the landline phone, I use call forwarding and it is forwarded to the cell.

skyline":2piolgov said:
I've been trying to get rid of mine, but someone has convinced my wife that if you dial 911 from your landline, they know where you are calling from without you telling them, and she thinks this is important for some reason... I'm not sure it's worth the extra phone bill. Can someone help me? :???:
I came up on a wreck a couple of yrs ago and called 911 when I did it locked my cell phone and I couldn't shut it off or end the call until the 911 operator ended it because of the GPS navigation that is built for locating purposes
I asked a friend who is on the 911 adminstration boad about this and he said if your area has enhanced 911 service that the cell sends a location to the nearest 911 center for locating purposes but all 911 centers aren't equipped with this system

The county I live in now doesn't have a 911 service we still have to dial the sheriff or fire for service and half the time we have already buried the body and concealed all the evidence before they even call you back :lol:

1982vett":2hazl4ge said:
I've thought about getting rid of it. If I did I wouldn't get to hang up on the pollsters. :D Can you believe 3 in the past week :mad: and I wouldn't have a backup plan for Internet service. Then as already stated about phone book listing. Course if you look me up you won't find me in it, you just have to realize that the number is still listed under Dad's name.
if you get cell reception at the house you can use your cell for your internet also or you can get a Air card from your cell provider and use it

I'm trying to talk the Boss into getting rid of the land line, She's hard to convince. We get 3-4 calls per evening ALL CRAP!
Anyway, last night I decided not to budge when it rang. :cowboy: [we don't have a portable now] Boss answered 3 times all junk calls then left it off the hook.
Everyone that we want calling uses the cell.

I have thought about getting rid of our landline too; but the wife wants to keep it around in case of emergencies. says its the only one that will work in case the electric goes out. (case in point: last year when we were without electricity for 5 days) Cant even charge your cell up during that time... so, I dont know yet. I would like to get rid of it...

Limomike":243v8dgt said:
I have thought about getting rid of our landline too; but the wife wants to keep it around in case of emergencies. says its the only one that will work in case the electric goes out. (case in point: last year when we were without electricity for 5 days) Cant even charge your cell up during that time... so, I dont know yet. I would like to get rid of it...

Car/truck :???: cigarette lighter?

Yep... your right MNMT... I will use that as my ammo.. That and the fact that it will save me about 70 bucks a month!

Cell phones are very affordable way to track the masses....can tell exactly where each cell user physically is, besides being able to record all conversations. Pretty neat trick. If I were you, get rid of the cell and keep the landline and pay for an unlisted landline.

the only way id dropp my landline is if i could get cell coverage all over the farm.there are alot of dead zones out in the country.personally i dont like keeping the cell on.unless ive told some1 to call me there.

You should look into how much it costs to get your cell phone number put in the phone book, around here it costs $2. But then again, do you want everyone knowing your cell phone number?

Latest posts