Getting rid of small Mesquites?

Help Support CattleToday:

bobrammer

Reaction score
I have several small (1 - 2 feet) Mesquites in my pasture. What's the best technique for getting rid of them permanently
without spreading them? Many thanks!

The way my father in law taught me is to dig down to were the root goes straight into the ground and spray around that root till it puddles. We use remedy & diesel.The trunk often twists in circles beneath the dirt,if you don't find where it goes straight down you will not kill it.

Just another thought for you to chew on.

Mesquites can make pretty good trees if you don't mind having some. They grow pretty good,,and they're legumes,,,adding nitrogen back into the soil. Pretty good grass grows sometimes underneath a good mesquite tree.

We get rid of lots of 'em,,but some of the ones - we just trim. By trimming, i mean i cut off all the stems down to the ground level,,cept one. So far, the ones that i've trimmed real good are growing in just one stem (uh,,trunk) - and don't spread out so much,,know what i mean? Can be a real headache though (and expensive too) if you have to fight and fuss with 'em much though.

Jus my $.02 worth.

basal treatment of Remedy + diesel + penetrant (1% Remedy & 1% penetrant).

the important thing is to spray completely around the base up to about 6-10 inches. if you don't go all the way around, it will not kill it.

as for the advice about leaving some for trees or shade, don't forget that you'll also be leaving a seed-source!

Great discussion here,,sure am enjoying reading.

Sometimes,,there's a perception given that a poison will get rid of the seed source for mesquite. It won't,,just like anything else,,it'll kill some - and set some back,,but it ain't gonna get rid of the whole seed source. It's gonna be back sooner or later,, 8)

Also,,IMHO,,it needs to be pointed out that (on my place anyways),,that the expense of a poison like remedy keeps it from passing the test about whether it's worthwhile to use - and use some more - and then haveta keep on using. I'm a third generation landowner and have been keeping the family books for a long time - and, when u look at the whole financial picture of what it takes to operate a place (like ours anyways),,,expenses that you have to repeat over and over need to be avoided like the black plague if u can,,lol,, :eek: :shock: :eek:

Now,,i ain't saying that there's anything wrong with a poision like remedy to get things like you want 'em,,but i am saying that it don't make much financial sense,,in the whole scheme of things. Course now,,everybody's situation is different,,and i can only give my opinion from the perspective of my own place in north central texas.

Good stuff there on this discussion forum,,,wish i'd have found it a long time ago. Thanks to everybody for keeping it going and making it so worthwhile. Thanks!

Latest posts