getting rid of fragmented files

Help Support CattleToday:

Alan

Reaction score
My computer is stockpiling fragmented files, I do defragment the drive as needed, but my computer is a few years old and I assume the fragmented files come from programs I, my wife or one of my 4 kids or their wife's have loaded and removed over the past few years. After defragmenting the fragmented files show up as the "red" files on the defragmenting page.

Anyway to delete these files? My hard drive is slowly filling up.

Thanks,
Alan

Alan":2qhp8zrj said:
My computer is stockpiling fragmented files, I do defragment the drive as needed, but my computer is a few years old and I assume the fragmented files come from programs I, my wife or one of my 4 kids or their wife's have loaded and removed over the past few years. After defragmenting the fragmented files show up as the "red" files on the defragmenting page.

Thanks,
Alan

Is your hard drive format FAT or NTFS? What OS are you using?

HerefordSire":1has4mn1 said:
Alan":1has4mn1 said:

Thanks,
Alan

Is your hard drive format FAT or NTFS? What OS are you using?

My OS is XP Home, I'm sorry (or happy) to say that I'm out of state on vacation so I'm not at that computer until Sunday. I want to say it's FAT... but not sure. It's about a 4 or 5 year old Sony with two hard drives. We got the computer shortly after XP came out What are your thoughts?

Thanks,
Alan.... Killing time on a long over due vacation

I luv herfrds":3obvlmgx said:
Alan have you done a disc clean up? After I run my defrag I go to the disc clean up and clean both.

Yes I try to do a disk cleanup as well as delete cookies every couple of days, I defragment.... maybe twice a month. Little pieces just get left over and after a few years I have lots of little pieces taking up too much hard drive.

Thanks for you question, looking for help on this. I like the computer and don't want to buy a new one because my hard drive is so full it stops running.

Alan

I recommend two items:

(1) Purchase an additional hard drive; they are very affordable probably for less than you think; you can get them internally and externally;

(2) Switch to NTFS file system since you have a capable OS; Since your data is probably FAT, this process could be tricky and if you can't figure it out, let me know;

Have a fun vacation!

Thanks for your help, when I get back I will check out if it's FAT or NTFS and go from there.

I really appreciate your help..... Mahalo and Aloha.

Alan

You might also want to get a good program to defrag with (not the standard one that comes on the machine). Raxco Perfect Disc works really well.

Latest posts