getting rid of fire ants in my pasture

Help Support CattleToday:

german roach

Reaction score
I can't seem to gain control of theese ants. They are doing more damage to my wallet every week. I have tried every chemical out there.

When (if) you get it figured out, please let me know - we are being over run with fire ants and nothing seems to stop them! :(

The only thing that worked was taken off the market, Chlordane

I don't think that there is such a thing as getting them under control. Most ants are good for the soil, however.... fire ants are a problem that needs a solution.

I read an article about a year ago on a type of beetle that is a natural predator to fire ants. There was talk of introducing them in Texas, but I have not heard anything about it since.

My brother in law works for Orkin. He uses Over and Out. We tried it last week. Package states it takes 7 to 10 days to see a change. I will let you know if it works.

dun":3vw0oeek said:
The only thing that worked was taken off the market, Chlordane

Yep, that and DDT. I'm pretty sure that both can still be bought outside the U.S.

I used to have a 35 gal drum of 10% chlordane granules, but finished it off when we built the house. I put it under the slab and around the house for termites.

When the termite bond folks saw me doing that, they gave me a 10 year termite bond for $25. :lol:

Mike that's all folks over here ever used and termites were almost non-existant....now everything is so diluted and worthless....cow pee would work about as well...

A lot of those "Mexican" veggies that come in during the winter have been sprayed with that good old DDT.

I use Orthene tobacco spray on mounds in my yard. Makes me feel good to see them dead in a couple of hours. Lorsban and sevin both seem to work well in the hayfields. I don't have that many in my pastures for some reason. Someone said the sulfur we use in the fertilizer now kills them. I don't know if this is true but I really don't have that many.

Latest posts