Getting ready to plant summer forage; haybeans and millet

Help Support CattleToday:

Steve Wilson

Reaction score
Took off work last Friday and managed to try out the 17 foot John Deere disk I picked up at a recent farm sale. 10 foot bottom with 3 1/2 foot wings on each side.....tandem disk. It's an old one, can't see the model number because it has been repainted. The front disks are near new. I haven't measured them but they are about 17 or 19 inches tall. Regular cup. The rears may be original, as they are not near as tall as the fronts. But boy do they ever have a cup to them. WOWZA, they really pull the dirt back in. There was another old disk next to it that they sold first. The scrap man bought it. He also had the opening bid on this one, but when he saw us bid next, he stopped. Knowing we were going to use it. Sold....$300.

I headed off to the creeper lot, a 4 acre patch that we planted in forage rye and brassica late last summer, for weaned bottle calves. It was dry enough to open up, but probably not enough to finish disk. My intention was to just break it open and let the sun and wind dry it enough to run over again later in the weekend. I got off the tractor after having gone a short distance, to check the conditions. Marginally dry. You could crumble the soil rather easily. If i squished it in my hand, the ball would break up, but in larger pieces. OK, good enough, leave it at this.

Sheesh, did it ever pull hard though. I started off in my normal field working gear......third gear, low side. All went well until I hit an extra hard spot, and the wheels started spinning. New tires, filled with methanol and a cab. Plenty of weight. I had the disk lowered all the way, the wings folded up, tires off the ground, and it was biting about 6 inches deep. Downshifted to second gear high and all went well. You could look behind you and all you saw was rolled over soil.

The plan is to put this patch in hybrid pearl millet. We have two other areas, 4 acres each. One to plant Derry haybeans and german foxtail millet in, the other will be cowpeas. Though, we first have to mow and round bale the hay on those ones. No use wasting perfectly good hay. The intent is to graze the pearl millet and cowpea patches and bale the haybeans/german millet. All of these are trials to see how it works and then decide if it is economical and practiacal to do it on a larger scale. We haven't been unhappy with the Sudax we have tried the past 2 or 3 years, just wanting to explore other crops also.

I don't mind mixing the pearl millet with fertilizer in a buggy but would sure love to be able to drill the beans and cowpeas. Only problem is, every old drill I have looked at is a rusted piece of junk. A fellow about 6 miles away has an old International drill for sale....it will fit through a 16 foot gate, has grass seed boxes in front also. They want to sell it to buy a no till for their bottom ground. But, he wants $2500 for it, more than I want to spend to only plant such a few acres a year. Yea, if you catch the ground conditions right, you could probably use it to seed wheat in the pastures for winter forage and also for seeding clover in the winter or early spring. IF you could catch the ground conditions right.

Steve Wilson
Central Missouri

dang a 17ft disc will make a big tractor spinn the back tires.what hp tractor are you pulling the disc with.we have 12 to 14ft athens disc that or 85hp tractor will pull.but thats lugging the tractor pretty good.

I have an old 1968 Allis Chalmers 190XT turbo diesel. Allis only claimed them as 93 HP but every one I know of that has been on a dyno has managed to hit 120 to 125 PTO HP. 3 years ago mine went 120 before the dyno maxed out and we still had throttle left. The pump hasn't been turned up.

I checked the field Saturday morning and it was still a touch to wet to disk again, figuring it would be dry enough Sunday. Late this morning, I hooked up to the disk again, got through the gate, dropped and locked the wings down. Same gear as before, second gear, high side. I only wanted to disk 3 or 4 inches deep, just to break up the remaining clods and give a nice smooth seedbed. I expected it to pull really hard and spin the tires exessesivly, but it cut well. No tire spinning or engine lugging at all. The only problem was that it was still too wet. So I quit after going 100 yards or so.

Maybe next weekend it will be ready. Crossing my fingers for no more rain this week. Memorial Day weekend we had at least 4 inches.

bigbull338":3t9eozn1 said:
dang a 17ft disc will make a big tractor spinn the back tires.what hp tractor are you pulling the disc with.we have 12 to 14ft athens disc that or 85hp tractor will pull.but thats lugging the tractor pretty good.

I got a 20ft john deere disc. The way steve described his, it all most sound like the same model as mine, 225. Anyways I pull it with a john deere 4450 tractor. It is about 150 hp. The disc blade are dished out though which make it a little harder to pull (because it cuts better) but it pulls it like nothing

jka,

We have a JD 4450 at the farm also. That's a horse of a tractor. He pulls a heavy 18 or 20 foot Bush Hog disk with it and has no troubles. It's too heavy for my 190XT. I can pull it the first pass across the fields with the wings up, but with them down for the second pass, I can only disk a few inches deep. It's just too heavy for me. I'll spin the tires and dig holes.

Also, in comparison between the two tractors. I pull a 7 shank chisel plow with the gauge wheels set at 10 inches deep. He pulls a 9 shank chisel and can manage 12 inches deep. Neither ever runs out of power, it's just a matter being able to make forward progrees you know.