Getting ready for the NWSS

Help Support CattleToday:

3waycross

Reaction score
Well, I have a confession to make. After swearing that I would never do this, I let myself get talked into showing a bull at the Stock Show. Actually letting some young folks that I sell with at the Pot O Gold sale show him. He's a nice calf, but he's not going to put any fear in his competitors. He will be good advertising for my program and it should help his sale price in the sale in Feb. My only regret is that he's not a little heavier but I weaned him at the right time and never push my bulls prior to weaning. So he will go into the ring at approx. 1150lb against bulls that are as much as 300lbs heavier. He will however be sound and a good breeder and that my main concern.

3waycross":13q43apu said:
Well, I have a confession to make. After swearing that I would never do this, I let myself get talked into showing a bull at the Stock Show. Actually letting some young folks that I sell with at the Pot O Gold sale show him. He's a nice calf, but he's not going to put any fear in his competitors. He will be good advertising for my program and it should help his sale price in the sale in Feb. My only regret is that he's not a little heavier but I weaned him at the right time and never push my bulls prior to weaning. So he will go into the ring at approx. 1150lb against bulls that are as much as 300lbs heavier. He will however be sound and a good breeder and that my main concern.

Nice bull. Wish more bull producers had your mindset.
;-)

3-Way, That's a good looking young bull and best of luck to you! I love the masculinity in him! I think just having one good enough to consider taking it to NWSS is a accomplishment. One year we took a killer Angus heifer, and were tickled pink that she stood 6th or 7th out of something like 16 head in the class. She didn't win, but she stood over heifers from some of the biggest names in the Angus show world.

Nice bull. Hope his exposure helps your program. Some good advertisement.

southernultrablack":2rmwfeaw said:
What's his pedigree?

He's out of the KHR 47R bull and a cow from Steve and Gail Filkowski......AMGV1379121. I am still waiting for the DNA on him. Pretty sure he is homo polled but waiting on the test for Homo Blk. If he's both he should bring some good money. I kept a full sister to him as a replacement last year. She is a gorgeous heifer. I have her bred to the Balancer bull Highly Focused.

3waycross":19wd9egt said:
southernultrablack":19wd9egt said:
What's his pedigree?

He's out of the KHR 47R bull and a cow from Steve and Gail Filkowski......AMGV1379121. I am still waiting for the DNA on him. Pretty sure he is homo polled but waiting on the test for Homo Blk. If he's both he should bring some good money. I kept a full sister to him as a replacement last year. She is a gorgeous heifer. I have her bred to the Balancer bull Highly Focused.
Good looking bull!
I've been looking at that 47R bull to put over some of my Balancer cows, but didnt know what kind of daughters he made.
Have you had any calves out of Highly Focused yet? How are his daughters?

I'd rather see a bull look great without being pushed than one that's fat from all the extra feed. It lets me see what I can expect b/c we only do grass/alfalfa hay and a very, very minimal amount of graining during the winter. I think he looks really good, and is a good representation of what his normal calves will be. Nice bull, I'd be proud of him.

I've been looking at that 47R bull to put over some of my Balancer cows, but didnt know what kind of daughters he made.
Have you had any calves out of Highly Focused yet? How are his daughters?[/quote]

I like the heifers out of 47R a lot. I only got 3 heifers out of Highly Focused but they were both better than their mommas so that says something. I ended up only keeping one of them

Jeanne - Simme Valley":2b2l417m said:
Good looking calf. Really nice front extension. I am surprised he has that much crest at his age. Is that usual for your breed?

He does have a large crest. His 1/2 brother was similar but not as exagerrated. My bulls usually have a good crest but he is exceptional.