Getting ready for new cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

BryanM

Reaction score
My story Just got rid of all 4h projects in the barn and need too get ready for new cattle coming in. My question is I had a touch of ring worm in the barn what should I use or do I need too do to starilize the barn. Now before you go crazy with the wording I am using the word sterilize loosely! I dont think my would barn can be starilized, although is their a solution I might spray or pressure wask walls and wood fencing with that might killany fungus or problem bacteria.

When we talk about trying to "clean" a barn, and from your post I see that you understand this, we're talking about going from a gazillion whatever down to a billion whatever in hopes that it will help. It is my experience that it will be helpful for the cattle and probably you too. What I do in the calf barn is remove all the manure, dirt, whatever, then pressure wash it and let it dry, then I go in and wet everything good with Vircon S, let it dry. Maybe we'll get some other suggestions on this.

Larry

Hose it down with a solution of about a cup per gallon of bleach and water

Yup bleach is great! Use it to clean equipment such as halters leads brushes etc that were in contact with the culprits. I think bleach should be sold in 55 gallon drums. . . :nod:

BryanM":1thtrun4 said:
I dont think my would barn can be starilized, although is their a solution I might spray or pressure wask walls and wood fencing with that might killany fungus or problem bacteria.

Yep! Plain old Lysol mixed with water at the rate of 1 part Lysol to 100 parts water. If you want to hedge your bet mix it at 2 parts.

Latest posts