Getting out of the cattle business

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
My friend and mentor and source of infinite wisdom is getting out of the cattle business. His 80th birthday is this weekend and single-handedly taking care of 150 brood cows has gotten tiresome to him and he is seeking to retire. All of his cattle were sold recently except for number 56. She doesn't seem to want to go and disappears in the woods whenever she sees activity around the cow trailer. This is a homemade card that we are going to give him on his birthday. What do you think? BTW - that is her.

saleme.jpg

Oh my gosh, that sure brought tears and a lump in my throat. Hope she gets to stay out her days with the ol guy. Brought back some memories of when my Dad sold the dairy cows....

Beautiful card by the way. Who is the artist?

I'm sure he will love it, great drawing, I know I would be proud to receive it. Is he leaving his farm? if not lets hope he can keep his one Cow, she seems a loyal friend.

CKC1586 said:
Oh my gosh, that sure brought tears and a lump in my throat. Hope she gets to stay out her days with the ol guy. Brought back some memories of when my Dad sold the dairy cows....

Beautiful card by the way. Who is the artist?[/quote]

My mom did the sketch and framed it then made a few cards out of the sketch. The fella this is going to is a great guy. I think he will just leave her on the farm cause she has made it vey clear that she likes it there. She isn't a crazy nut either. She just doesn't want to go anywhere.

I'm like CKC...that brings tears to my eyes...I hope he keeps her and then just goes out and sits with her now and then.
We have a gentleman on the hard road that is in his 90's and rents a small little lot from some people. The cows he has (about 4) look like CRAP but when weather is nice he's out there sitting on the edge of the water trough with his walking stick. One day one of the cows was out so I stopped (its a pretty busy road) and as the kids sat in the car I helped him get her turned around and back in the fence. We started talking and he was the longest running rancher to take cattle to the E. St. Louis stockyards...said there was a write-up on him once in the paper...Neat, Neat old man...I always look for him and am going to cry the day I see those scrawny old cows gone as I'm sure it'll mean he's gone too.

Jogeephus":1aafkzsz said:
My friend and mentor and source of infinite wisdom is getting out of the cattle business. His 80th birthday is this weekend and single-handedly taking care of 150 brood cows has gotten tiresome to him and he is seeking to retire. All of his cattle were sold recently except for number 56. She doesn't seem to want to go and disappears in the woods whenever she sees activity around the cow trailer. This is a homemade card that we are going to give him on his birthday. What do you think? BTW - that is her.

saleme.jpg

Joe we all reach a point in life we have to cut back due to a different reasons age, health.
The thing I have seen before is if they completely sell out they die soon as it is in our blood.
The day I can't drink coffee at the table and see a cow in the pasture I would wonder why I am here.
Ya'll sound really close I would try and get him to hang on to ten or twenty IMO .

Cool card. I bet the old guy keeps her and goes to the salebarn one of these days to get her some company. :cowboy:

joe thats a cool card.i know he will treasure it.its sad to see some1 sell out that age.because as sad he will prolly die shortly there after.i know i dont want the cows to leave till im in the ground.because if they leave fore then ill die.

brandonm_13":2kn30sy1 said:
Great card. I agree, he needs to keep her, just so he can have a cow to look at.

But she will get lonely, so he needs to keep at least 2 - they way they will have company. Besides, 2 heads are better than one when it comes to getting into mischief! ;-) :lol: :lol:

Latest posts