Getting old HURTS!

Help Support CattleToday:

icandoit

Reaction score
Harvey and Gladys Goldman are getting ready for bed. Gladys is standing in front of her full-length mirror, taking a long, hard look at herself. "You know, Harvey," she comments. "I stare into this mirror and I see an ancient creature. My face is all wrinkled, my boobs sag so much that they dangle to my waist, my arms and legs are as flabby as popped balloons, and my butt looks like a sad, deflated version of the Hindenberg
She turns to face her husband and says, "Dear, please tell me just one positive thing about my body so I can feel better about myself."
Harvey studies Gladys critically for a moment and then says in a soft, thoughtful voice, "Well there's nothing wrong with your eyesight."
Services for Harvey Goldman will be held Tuesday morning at 10:30 at Beth Israel Synagogue

I jumped down off a creek bank last week..wasn't but a few feet down,in sand to boot ..suffered all week for it..

Getting old definitely sucks and HURTS. When you get up in the morning and your back already hurts......ugh.
Now to good ole Harvey........ how did Gladys do it? LOL

I MUST be a glutton for punishment! After 29+ years as a police officer in Chicago I went for my life long dream of retiring on a farm in Arkansas. Raise chickens for eggs and a pig and steer a year for meat. The first year here I planted a mixed orchard and ten years later I am seeing the fruits of my labors, literally! The aches and pains from multiple injuries, the rewards of working on the street, can make getting out of bed a challenge some mornings but the more you move the better you feel. At almost 68 I can still stack 80 lb hay bales in the barn as well as unloading 50 lb bags of feed. I cut, split and stack my own wood for my stove in the winter. Life is great and I thank the Good Lord every day I spend this side of the grass!

I always wonder when I see these comments if I am just lucky or others are wimps. Between riding bareback broncs and falling old growth timber in the PNW I have broke 9 bones, dislocated both shoulders (surgery on one of them) and an elbow, destroyed the soft tissue in a calf (first two Dr's want to cut it off at the knee), and had stitches 12-15 times. I am 70 years old. I am slow and fatter than I should be. Age has slowed me down and I don't have nearly the stamina I use to have. But hurt? Not so much.

I always wonder when I see these comments if I am just lucky or others are wimps. Between riding bareback broncs and falling old growth timber in the PNW I have broke 9 bones, dislocated both shoulders (surgery on one of them) and an elbow, destroyed the soft tissue in a calf (first two Dr's want to cut it off at the knee), and had stitches 12-15 times. I am 70 years old. I am slow and fatter than I should be. Age has slowed me down and I don't have nearly the stamina I use to have. But hurt? Not so much.
I didn't either.....until I did. It really came on in just the last 6 months.
Right hip, leg and back, and suddenly, I am walking with a cane.

When I hear someone talk about someone in their 70's doing something, or being sick, I think "wow, they are getting up there in age". I'm 75.
I am proud of my age - tell anyone - but forget about how old I am when I am doing things or planning to do things. I just get it done. It will suck when I can't DO the things I like.
Went to a show. On my feet from 5am to 10.30pm. Showed in the ring - won! several awards. That's living to me. Love it.
Putting on a clinic for kids this weekend. Love it.
Had a steak dinner at the pond and went fishing. Caught several keeper size bass. Love it.
Life is good.
Like it says - the alternative sucks.

I read something a week or two ago that did make me feel old (it might have been here). The period of time from 1970 to now is the same as from 1918 to 1970.

It takes a bit to get things going of a morning but when I do get going I'm OK. I have a late lunch as It takes a bit to get going again after lunch.

Ken

I think it is the definition of hurt. The little aches and pains that come with age I just shrug off. It could be because I have experience things that really hurt.

One day a lady friend of mine and I were discussing war wounds from the bronc wars. She went to the big ranch country around Jordan Valley when she was 18 to start breaking horses. She quit breaking colts when she was 50. She has been injured a time or three. When I said that I had dislocated my elbow she said that happened to her too. She said that she had given birth to 3 babies. And she would rather go through the pain of child birth than have a dislocated elbow. I asked if she could put that in writing. A dislocated elbow is one serious hurt.

I agree on the replacing joints that can be done. I nearly could not walk with the ankle pain; after the replacement I have no pain in the joint. I do have some wonky nerve tingly feelings and the ankle is a little more "swollen" or thicker... but HURT.... NO
The same things with the knees. They hurt so, and even my farmers said it bothered them to see me walk and how much better I walk now since they have been replaced. The tendons and ligaments pull more on the one, they are a little stiff... but they don't HURT. I can stand without pain. I get stiff and it takes a bit some times to get moving... but not PAIN. Ache and a little sore... okay...
Being overweight doesn't help, and I am working on that... but 2 years of next to no activity because the pain would bring me to tears from the ankle and knees.... so now trying to go back and make up for the lack of exercise those couple of years. I am back to doing more that I enjoy, and more on the farm this year. Hope to be even better next year. I will be 69 in Sept... not afraid of it... sure wish I was still 50, but glad I am still here and functioning more and better everyday than 2 years ago. Hope I have another 20-30 years to be a PITA to my son and others.

Last edited:
. . . . I will be 69 in Sept... not afraid of it... sure wish I was still 50, but glad I am still here and functioning more and better everyday than 2 years ago. Hope I have another 20-30 years to be a PITA to my son and others.

While we're wishing, I'd go back further than that (as long as I could know what I know now; I wouldn't want to make the same stupid mistakes).

Latest posts