Getting needles off syringes

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
Ya'll probably know this trick but I figured somebody might not. I worked some cattle this weekend and we were cleaning up. Noticed the fella helping me was rooting through my toolbox and I asked him what he needed. He said the needle was stuck and wouldn't turn and he needed pliars to take it off.

I took the syringe and pointed the needle down on the fence and bent the needle. The bent needle allows added leverage and you can easily turn the needle and remove it from the syringe. I then put the used needles in an aluminum can and smashed it so no one would get stuck later.

Recap needle, "be carefull" :shock:
push capped needle back into syringe while you twist it. This will loosen it and then makes it easy to pull off. Works every time.

Remove the needle and place it in the syringe with the point pointing toward the plunger. Then insert the plunger and force the needle thought the rubber part of the plunger. Then dispose.

show steer up":34fi6yic said:
Recap needle, "be carefull" :shock:
push capped needle back into syringe while you twist it. This will loosen it and then makes it easy to pull off. Works every time.

Yep. I understand a small dose of Ivomec will really clean you out. :lol:

to dispose of the used needles we use the case they came in. write used on the case, then give them to the vet to dispose of on the next trip to her. Same as the drug bottles.

Cut a 2"x2" 3 sided "door" near the top of a gallon milk jug. Put the used needles in there and throw the syringe in the regular garbage. When the milk jug is full dispose of it with a vets sharpes container.

Jogeephus":3jlkfirp said:
Does everyone use disposable syringes?

It just depended on the individual job. For treating an individual calf, yes. For yearly vaccinations (and the boosters), no.

I have the guns that have the hose that attaches to the vac. bottles - kind of like the Ivomec gun. I really like those besause you never have to refill anything - just change out the needles.

Latest posts