Getting Mom's on Full Feed Question..Pic. Added

Help Support CattleToday:

CKC1586

Reaction score
I posted this on the Health and Nutrition board but it was suggested I also ask here:

I am having an issue with one of my cows who calved in April. I am trying to get her on full feed since she has been on the maternity diet from November to April. I have gradually introduced grain but she is really runny, so added some oats, then added a bit of beet pulp. Any other ideas? I did give her some probios too. I would really like to get her going as I think she will be a good candidate for the cow calf class this fall. But I need to get some pounds on her.
edit to add a picture, taken 5/27/09
JaloMay09.jpg

Get a hold of some Showbloom. It adds the needed yeasts to their stomach. IMO, it's the best supplement out there.

CKC1586":1zrsy80a said:
Cowboy 2.0":1zrsy80a said:
Get a hold of some Showbloom. It adds the needed yeasts to their stomach. IMO, it's the best supplement out there.
Thanks! Who makes it??

Some of the local feed stores carry it so you might check with them.

Is your cow on grass? I see you're in Michigan so you should be on lush grass like my cows. They are squitting like crazy. You sure don't want to stand behind one!
If not, is your cow a 2-year old first calf heifer? If she's not on grass & not on Alfalfa, I would be a bit concerned about Johnes Disease.

is she getting enough hay and grass? that should settle her some. but showbloom works great too.

I echo the statement about hay. She should be on free choice dry hay with no green grass. Add the showbloom but back off the grain a nit until her stool gets firm again. Then slowly build up the qty again.

Whew, thanks for the advice and comments! She is not on grass yet (wish I had some). She is on first cutting hay and the grain recipe and minerals. She is not losing condition, she is gaining but I do not want to take her up too fast. She is acutally doing better yesterday, thickening up a bit so will keep her where she is for a couple of days and then add a feeding and see how she does. I am going to look for some show bloom and brewers yeast too.

Latest posts