Getting disappointed

Help Support CattleToday:

farmwriter

Reaction score
I've been thinking the past couple of weeks that 4 replacement heifers we bought last year are not looking as good as the ones we raised. We're a little less than a month from the start of calving, so I've been doing a lot of just sitting and looking at the ladies lately, and everytime I'm out there I think to myself these four just aren't holding their condition as well since the grass started petering out. Well yesterday was the first time Daddy and I have been out there together in a couple of weeks, and without me bringing it up he said the same thing.
Now, we know the guy well we bought these heifers from, and he kind of teases me about pampering our cows and his are always fat as hogs. I just don't understand why they're not looking as good as the girls we raised. They weren't his culls or anything; he sold all his calves that year and we hand picked the ones we wanted before he took the rest to the sale. Wish I could account for it someway because I find it hard to believe they're inferior animals. :?:

farmwriter":2ad6mlar said:
I've been thinking the past couple of weeks that 4 replacement heifers we bought last year are not looking as good as the ones we raised. We're a little less than a month from the start of calving, so I've been doing a lot of just sitting and looking at the ladies lately, and everytime I'm out there I think to myself these four just aren't holding their condition as well since the grass started petering out. Well yesterday was the first time Daddy and I have been out there together in a couple of weeks, and without me bringing it up he said the same thing.
Now, we know the guy well we bought these heifers from, and he kind of teases me about pampering our cows and his are always fat as hogs. I just don't understand why they're not looking as good as the girls we raised. They weren't his culls or anything; he sold all his calves that year and we hand picked the ones we wanted before he took the rest to the sale. Wish I could account for it someway because I find it hard to believe they're inferior animals. :?:
Is his forage base the same as yours? Does he grain his replacements? Those would be the 2 things I would think of first.

Dun, Grasses are similar and he doesn't grain. We are late with the winter planting this year, but the girls we raised are on the same pasture and look better.
TN, I truly don't think they are sick. No lethargy or lack of appetite, and I guess because the original owner's cattle are always so fat, I'm surprised these offspring don't seem to have the same efficiency as their mama's. And they don't look BAD, but I can tell they don't look as good as they have. Seems like poor doer, but that's not the stock they came from, you know? That's why I'm a little puzzled.
Now, parasites are something to consider. I know they've been wormed on the same schedule as our's since they got here (last fall, this past spring), but might they still be carrying something our girls usually don't have, so our usual wormer hasn't gotten it? By now wouldn't they have shed whatever they were carrying and shared it with the cattle we raised? Any other thoughts on that?
We'll be separating the cows and heifers this weekend (hopefully) and moving the heifers closer to the house so we can watch them easier as calving starts, and we'll worm them (pellets) after they are separated, so that may shed some light on the subject.
Thanks for kicking ideas around with me.

The reason I asked is we've found that animals that aren;t raised on fescue will take 2 years or more to adapt to the stuff.

Could be one of many reasons or a combination of many. They could have less resistance to the parasites your cattle are used to, could be on an earlier or later teething schedule because of genetics, it could be that you selected the growthiest calves from the group and that your environment simply cannot sustain all the extra performance, could be that your soil pH is lower, etc...

We do have pretty acidic soil. Can you explain to me why that could impact some of them more negatively than others?

Report this postReply with quoteRe: Getting disappointed
by tncattle467 on Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:18 am

Have you had them blood tested and fecal sampled from the vet to determine if there are underlying conditions such as heavy parasite load or worse even Johnes. It would be hard to believe all four would have Johnes but it is a possibility I assume. If the blood work and the fecal sample come back negative for BVD, Johnes, and worms, then I would chalk em up as poor doers and send em to the slaughter house.
I may be misunderstanding what you are trying to say but we know that if they are positive for Johnes then they would need to be slaughtered. So you are saying even if they test negative to send them to slaughter as poor doers? Why the heck would you want to waste money on the tests if you are going to slaughter them either way?

Circle H Ranch

farmwriter":7iwrwtac said:
We do have pretty acidic soil. Can you explain to me why that could impact some of them more negatively than others?
Poorer nutrition then they were developed on. Just like fescue it may take a couple of years for them to adapt, if they ever do.

do you worm for liver flukes? he may have them on his place & you don't on yours. are they bigger framed than yours? that would make them look thinner

Farmwriter,

Is it possible the bought heifers have just lost their teeth? That might set them back a little.

Farmgirl

Latest posts