getting bottle calf to eat starter feed

Help Support CattleToday:

scf84

Reaction score
any tips to get a bottle calf to start eating calf starter? he is about 6 days old now, i have been able to give him some by forcing his mouth open and putting alittle feed in but now he has got stronger and harder to do this, if had 3 hands would be ok. any tips?

scf84":1dbfogkm said:
any tips to get a bottle calf to start eating calf starter? he is about 6 days old now, i have been able to give him some by forcing his mouth open and putting alittle feed in but now he has got stronger and harder to do this, if had 3 hands would be ok. any tips?

Personally what has worked for me is taking the starter and mixing it with molasses and giving the calf a nice handful with molasses all over it. Mine will eat that up then lick my hand and look for more. I generally will take a5 gallon bucket and a bottle of molasses mix it then put in a barrel I cut in half for them as they start eating it on there own I back off the molasses. Thats just what I do and have had good luck I can't say it will work for everyone. I have noticed after giving the handful if I stand around waiting for them to eat they don't or very little but if I give them some and then leave normally they gobble it all up before I get back later that day or next morning. Good luck in whatever you decide to try. :2cents:

I agree about not rushing it, but I used to let the calf suck a couple of fingers (and I never had one that wouldn't), and then put some feed in my hand and let it dribble down into the calf's mouth between my fingers to get it started eating.

We always started the bottle calves in grain within the first week. They would only nibble a little at first but by 8 weeks they were eating a couple of pounds a day and ready to be weaned from the bottle.

dun":otd7siec said:
We always started the bottle calves in grain within the first week. They would only nibble a little at first but by 8 weeks they were eating a couple of pounds a day and ready to be weaned from the bottle.

Yes sir same here a month is a bit long to me.

I've fed my last few bottle calves straight oats. One of these nutrition gurus will probably tell you that it's not enough. They did real good on it. I hate a bottle calf with a passion, and only fool with ones that a cow won't take. So my experience is limited to one or two every spring.

Bigfoot":1bkrijje said:
I've fed my last few bottle calves straight oats. One of these nutrition gurus will probably tell you that it's not enough. They did real good on it. I hate a bottle calf with a passion, and only fool with ones that a cow won't take. So my experience is limited to one or two every spring.
You certainly didn't hurt them with the oats as most good calf starters also contain a substantial amount of oats but they more protein would definitely have been beneficial. Over the years there have probably been more calves raised on Horse and Mule feed than anything else (10% protein). :nod:

turklilley":3non6zuo said:
At 6 days old, he is not ready to eat starter. Give him a month or more yet.

X2. Just keep in front and let him decide. It's not life or death

Latest posts