Getting back into the cattle business... advice?

Help Support CattleToday:

highgrit":3hl9ob45 said:
Break that 93 acres into about 20 - 4 1/2 acre paddocks. You can carry a third more cows per acre, and cut hay off it also. Rotational grazing works good if you work at it.
That's a good way to go, just very expensive and alot of time to do.

denvermartinfarms":1n9mr0ih said:
highgrit":1n9mr0ih said:
Break that 93 acres into about 20 - 4 1/2 acre paddocks. You can carry a third more cows per acre, and cut hay off it also. Rotational grazing works good if you work at it.
That's a good way to go, just very expensive and alot of time to do.
It takes time but with the use of electric and temp polywire it's not that big of a deal. The bugaboo is always providing water to all of the paddocks. That can be pretty easily addressed with temp tanks and polypipe.

I can't tell from the post . Do you work off the farm ? Getting your handling system in good shape would be good money to spend . I started from scratch 4yrs. ago . It takes time to figure out what works best for yourself. I would add 2 or 3 bred cows along . Increase your herd as pasture and fence allows . I installed a automated waterer . Best money I've spent . Good luck rj

I have thought about getting my own baler but after thus year i dont think it will pencil for a newbie such as myself. I cut and raked cause dad owns those but no baler. I had a buddy bale it. I have about 350$ in fuel and twine and 7 full days labor and only got 26 --5x6 rolls off it. Yes i saved money per roll if you dont count the time involved. But i could have spent those 7 days working on something else. My time is worth something. I think ill buy my hay for now. Its a tax right off anyways