Getting and keeping a good vet

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

OK, so maybe I'm blowing off steam here.... some thoughts on how to get/keep a good vet. 1) If there's someone with a good reputation in general, and you hear bad things from one or two, weigh their management level and general miscontent into the equation. Poor managers generally get bumped by good vets. 2) The most expensive is not necessarily the best, but if they're still really busy, they just may be! 3) Find someone who explains things to your satisfaction. Unending intelligence doesn't make up for lack of common sense. 4) When you've got a good vet, don't endlessly complain about the bill. You won't have to worry in the future, they'll refuse to do your work! 5) Again on the money thing..... we have bills too--pay promptly, and if there's a problem, let us know!! 6) Stupid calls at 3am will never endear you to your vet. If she's calving at 7pm, don't wait until after midnight to realize there's a problem!(can you tell what happened this weekend?) An alternative to this is don't work on calving her out for 10 hours and wait until all is hopeless then expect us to save both cow and calf..... 7) Clean warm water, soap and a dry towel will never go unnoticed when the job is done! 8) Animals sometimes die. Where there's livestock, there's dead stock. Period. 9) We're all human. Sincere thanks can go a long way! There's probably more, but that's all my tired brain can come up with this morning! Take care everyone! V

A hot or cold beverage timely offered can help take the edge off a bit also. Remember, as I've said before, a good vet that you have faith in is one of the best investments you can make.

dunmovin farms

> OK, so maybe I'm blowing off steam
> here.... some thoughts on how to
> get/keep a good vet. 1) If there's
> someone with a good reputation in
> general, and you hear bad things
> from one or two, weigh their
> management level and general
> miscontent into the equation. Poor
> managers generally get bumped by
> good vets. 2) The most expensive
> is not necessarily the best, but
> if they're still really busy, they
> just may be! 3) Find someone who
> explains things to your
> satisfaction. Unending
> intelligence doesn't make up for
> lack of common sense. 4) When
> you've got a good vet, don't
> endlessly complain about the bill.
> You won't have to worry in the
> future, they'll refuse to do your
> work! 5) Again on the money
> thing..... we have bills too--pay
> promptly, and if there's a
> problem, let us know!! 6) Stupid
> calls at 3am will never endear you
> to your vet. If she's calving at
> 7pm, don't wait until after
> midnight to realize there's a
> problem!(can you tell what
> happened this weekend?) An
> alternative to this is don't work
> on calving her out for 10 hours
> and wait until all is hopeless
> then expect us to save both cow
> and calf..... 7) Clean warm water,
> soap and a dry towel will never go
> unnoticed when the job is done! 8)
> Animals sometimes die. Where
> there's livestock, there's dead
> stock. Period. 9) We're all human.
> Sincere thanks can go a long way!
> There's probably more, but that's
> all my tired brain can come up
> with this morning! Take care
> everyone! V

My vet is a wonderful fellow. I'll admit I had doubts about him at first as he is older and semi-retired, but I've come to believe that this man has probably forgotten more about cattle than a lot of vets will ever know! And he is probably the best vet I could have found for our little bunch. Our State Prison used to run a large dairy and beef operation, and he was the vet out there for many, many years. He's now semi-retired, practicing mainly on small animals. He told me he has half a dozen people who are raising a beef or two and then my cows. You can easily see that he enjoys coming out to work with them, you can see it in the way he handles them and in the way he talks/whispers to them. And his bill -- I was so shocked at the first bill from him, I thought there had been a mistake it was so low. AND HE ACTUALLY KNOWS RABBITS TOO! (I raise show rabbits)

He did tell me though this last time, that I need to have more confidence in my ability and judgement with the cattle -- that I know more about all this than I think I do?!? I don't know, maybe he is going senile! LOL

Ann

> A hot or cold beverage timely
> offered can help take the edge off
> a bit also. Remember, as I've said
> before, a good vet that you have
> faith in is one of the best
> investments you can make.

> dunmovin farms

Bledsoe's Bunnies Rabbitry
[email protected]

I heard or read somewhere that a teacher at a vet school once said that half of what they were teaching would turn out to be wrong. The problem was not knowing which half. Ol' time vets may not be up on the latest and greatest, but they have pretty well figured out which half was wrong.

dunmovin farms

> My vet is a wonderful fellow. I'll
> admit I had doubts about him at
> first as he is older and
> semi-retired, but I've come to
> believe that this man has probably
> forgotten more about cattle than a
> lot of vets will ever know! And he
> is probably the best vet I could
> have found for our little bunch.
> Our State Prison used to run a
> large dairy and beef operation,
> and he was the vet out there for
> many, many years. He's now
> semi-retired, practicing mainly on
> small animals. He told me he has
> half a dozen people who are
> raising a beef or two and then my
> cows. You can easily see that he
> enjoys coming out to work with
> them, you can see it in the way he
> handles them and in the way he
> talks/whispers to them. And his
> bill -- I was so shocked at the
> first bill from him, I thought
> there had been a mistake it was so
> low. AND HE ACTUALLY KNOWS RABBITS
> TOO! (I raise show rabbits)

> He did tell me though this last
> time, that I need to have more
> confidence in my ability and
> judgement with the cattle -- that
> I know more about all this than I
> think I do?!? I don't know, maybe
> he is going senile! LOL

> Ann

One thing I really like is that this guy is from the "old school" and doesn't believe in using implants or antibiotics in animals that are not sick, just the basic vaccinations needed for our area. We do use Eprinex for parasites -- great stuff, I must say, no meat withdrawal and no milk discard. He even recommended it for the rabbits (off label use, but no problems so far)

Ann

[email protected]