Getting a little panicky and need some guidance

Help Support CattleToday:

Sorry to hear about your ordeal. Sounds like you did what you needed to, and it paid off. If the calfs head and tongue are that swollen, his front legs, and shoulders are probably larger than they should be, from being squeezed that long. If he gets up on hind legs, assist him to get his front feet under him, and help him balance. This will help get the blood flowing and reduce the swelling. If he nurses on a bottle and you get his legs under him you should be OK. 100# BW on a beltie is huge, especially out of a low bw bull, and first calf heifer. I hope everything turns out OK

Thank you! The local Beltie guru came and actually said 125 lbs., but I thought that just could not be possible, so I "edited" it down to 100+. He is HUGE! We've got a yearling that is not much bigger than he is.

His tongue is now normal-sized, and the swelling in his head/jaw seems to have gone down quite a bit too. We've put a bale of straw in there with him, and have been kind of straddling him over it with front feet on one side and hind feet on the other. He is doing pretty well with the hind, but his front feet are knuckled over somewhat and floppy, and the the one fore is pretty swollen still.

Mama licks him, walks a little way off and calls to him, and is trying to get him up. She is being really patient with him and staying close by at night. We have some corral panels to pen her and milk her if need be, (our headgate is awaiting the delivery of our pen/chute this week) but we're really hoping to have him standing and nursing by the end of the day.

Thanks again!

Wow, what an ordeal! And yes, 125lbs is HUGE, for any breed...let alone a Beltie. If you don't mind me asking, who was the sire? Hopefully mom can take over for you, taking care of bottle calves is a lot of work, especially when you have the cow around who should be doing it!! (I've done that with two heifers so far, they weren't the least bit interested in their calves)

Glad you had the sense to call the vet and get someone out to help you. Better to have a vet bill and a live calf than a vet bill and no calf ;-)

We'd all like to see pictures!

You are doing great! There are many on here that say "oh, they know what they're doing, leave them alone" or "I never check mine". Yes, they SHOULD have a calf on their own & the calf should jump up & suck and everything is hunky dory! BUT, "sometimes" things don't work out like that, and it's best to be prepared. If you hadn't been observing her, you might have had a dead calf & a heifer down for the count.
For future reference, NEW research indicates we should NOT hang them upside down. Puts too much pressure on their lungs. Best to lay them on a slight slope, head downhill, clean out mouth & nose, tickle nose with straw to make them "sneeze".
Putting the calf over a bale of straw now is excellent. Is the mom halter broke? If the calf will suck a bottle, it is usually pretty easy to get him to suck the cow IF she will stand close to him since he can't walk. Get him on the bottle sucking good, then let him suck your finger & "lure" him to the teat.
Goodluck - keep us posted.

Thank you all so much for your continued advice and counsel. We are at a little over a week now, and all of the patience and time we put in has finally paid off.

We ran into so many more issues with this calf beyond the first challenges... I took the rest of the week off from work to stay home with him. It appears he may have been a bit of a dummy, and he also had contracted tendons in his front legs from being so large in a first calf heifer. I made him little splints from rolled-up magazines and vet wrap, and spent time every day giving him his "physical therapy" lessons by gently stretching his forelegs and helping him stand.

He was not nursing as much as he should, so we had to milk the cow every day at least once (which was interesting...) Then it appeared he may have pneumonia, so we got him medication for that. Whew!

Next, he was standing alone to nurse, and finally was able to walk without his splints (I gave him 12 hours on, 12 hours off with those). My husband called me yesterday morning at work to say he had actually run around the cow twice. Made my heart feel good to hear that!

Just within the last day or two, he is now going out into the pasture with the cow during the day and spending the whole day out there with her before we bring them both into their corral for the night. We are still checking on them every few hours through the night, but I doubt that is really necessary.

Thanks again, everyone! I will try to post pics.

Taa daaa! Here he is:

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/photo/2200109450059344087uXkzcN

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/photo/2003610230059344087fsXbxu

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/photo/2202294410059344087SPBXlo

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/photo/2067535640059344087yQDKtY

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/photo/2028079470059344087RPKzfq

Unlike a lot of "newbies" you have common sense (helps that you previously owned animals!!!) You would be amazed at some people asking questions about cattle. I swear they never even owned a cat during their lifetime!! :shock:
You did great work! I know the "feeling" when the animal "turns around" & is bucking or playing or sucking on it's own for the first time. GOOD FEELING!!!! ya done good.