Getting a fence straight

Help Support CattleToday:

mnmtranching":26hlg4kp said:
You DON"T need transits, lasers. :roll: Get your corner braces tight and sturdy and stretch your fence.
Get it done, and go fishing or something. No use making a BIG project out of it.
Well? :???: Unless you like to make a project last. :cowboy:

He asked how to make a fence straight not how to get to the fishin hole the fastest. :D just kidding. :D

I think its actually faster to use a transit and have the posts set straight before you string out your wire. You don't have to waste time moving the wire around and eyballing your posts all the time.

I used to have an older man help me,or did I help him?, that would sight buy eye and build as straight a fence as i have ever seen. Starting at the H post or corner he would sight the next H or corner and I would plumb the first post and drive it then he would come to the post we just set and sight the next one. Before we ever built any fence I sometimes thought he might have been a little windy when he talked about some of his hunting feats but after seeing how straight his fence was I guess I believe he might have been able to shoot the eye out of that groundhog way over on that hill by the pond. He had quite an eye. I do miss him now that he is gone.

I've heard of cows that "respect fences" - now I understand what that means.

Once they find out it's crooked......

mnmtranching":3kpy7f5m said:
I stretch one wire between the braces.
Why do Y'all stretch the bottom wire? :eek:
I do the top wire.
Use it as a straight line to fill in the posts. Then connect to top wire to the posts and unwind the next to the top, fasten and then the next and next.
You won't have to fight the constant tangles you have to deal with when you start with the bottom wire. :cowboy:

Bottom wire because if you do a top wire it's always in the way of the post hole digger, settin' post, T-post driver, etc. Stretch bottom wire, drill post holes or set T-posts, and start stringin' the rest of the wire.

I sure like the idea with the rifle scope. Last year I had to replace a fence where I couldn't hardly see the other end and I used a theodalite (sp) (transit). Rifle scope would have been just as good and a heck of a lot cheaper. Thanks,

lavacarancher":3qm3lfpn said:
mnmtranching":3qm3lfpn said:
I do the top wire.
Use it as a straight line to fill in the posts. Then connect to top wire to the posts and unwind the next to the top, fasten and then the next and next.
You won't have to fight the constant tangles you have to deal with when you start with the bottom wire. :cowboy:

Bottom wire because if you do a top wire it's always in the way of the post hole digger, settin' post, T-post driver, etc. Stretch bottom wire, drill post holes or set T-posts, and start stringin' the rest of the wire.

I sure like the idea with the rifle scope. Last year I had to replace a fence where I couldn't hardly see the other end and I used a theodalite (sp) (transit). Rifle scope would have been just as good and a heck of a lot cheaper. Thanks,

I'll go along with top wire first. The mess of having to keep walking back and forth to get the other wires off the barbs while you're trying to get them over the lower wires is too much traveling for these old bones. I suppose if you had someone else to do the unhooking it wouldn;t be as bad though.

I dont have the problem of getting the fence straight, my problem is getting the post straight in the ground.

lavacarancher":3fcsos2i said:
mnmtranching":3fcsos2i said:
I do the top wire.

Appreciate all the ideas. I'll set H braces both ends, taut a wire as a guide so I can set all the other post. I'll do the bottom one, so I don't fight the wire being in the way when setting tpost. But one end is in the middle of a field, eventually be crossed fenced in, but eyeballing it, and there is no telling where it will be. And like lava, can hardly see the other end. I'll probably use the scope idea to find that spot. Now I just got to git it done....and unfortunately busted my shoulder after posting this, so this fence is going to have to wait a bit. Can't lift my arm above shoulder height at the moment.

Now if anyone wants to stop by and test all these ideas...... :D

I was thinking? :oops: Y'all should come to the ranch, give me a demo. :cowboy:
How ever you would want to get the job done will work for me. :nod: