Gettin the birds outta the barns

Help Support CattleToday:

Wisteria Farms

Reaction score
Hi all! Got a problem that's driving us INSANE.. BIRDS!!!
I did some reading and found a couple of remedies but wondered what y'all do...
Here's the suggestions I found:
1. get bird netting and drape on the underside of the rafters (limiting where they can "perch")
2. nailing the spike strips to all the rafters (again limiting where they can perch)

Things we've tried are:
1. fake owl hanging in the rafters
2. tin pie plates hanging from the rafters
3. loud music (helps the desensitise the cattle but not sure what it does for the birds).

Any suggestions appreciated!

Not pigeons...I guess they are barn swallows? I'm sure the hubby could tell you... but they are sh_tting all over EVERYTHING. They roost up in the hay loft but everything down below (my chute, my feed bunks, the gator)... its all covered in bird crap.

The fake owl works pretty good, but the rat shot will be more fun... :D Keep tearing down their nests and it might discourage them from coming back.

Go out at night with a good flashlight and a BB gun. They don't like having a light shined on them and can't fly well.

Thanks everyone... however I feel like shooting them is nothing but a waste of time as all their "cousins" will just be back the next day...
We're going to try a different owl. I also saw something that has a red "eye" that blinks that is supposed to scare them. Will let you know if I find something that works!

Latest posts