Get rich farming

Help Support CattleToday:

Part of me objects to any and all subsidies; but then part of me is worried that if they kick the legs out of the crop programs we are going to have a really difficult time finding the $2 a bushel corn we are finishing our cattle on. To me these programs ensure that every grocery store has cheap chickens, ground beef, cereal, bread, pork chops, cheese, cookies, etc. Our Church collects food for the poor. I got a list of stuff to get like flour, corn meal, treat, Spam, crackers, spaghetti, spaghetti sauce, peanut butter, rice, pancake mix, potted meat, etc and I filled up my brown paper sack to the top for only $15.50 ($1.40 of that was sales tax). We know Wal-Mart and the food processing companies are going to keep their margins so any increase on cost is going to go to the consumer. Rome gave away bread to keep the public happy. We use programs to keep the food plentiful and artificially cheap so any person on fixed income or a minimum wage job can eat. I am not sure that we really want to rock the boat on this.

NOW CRP is a bunch of garbage that has cost us jobs, inflated the price of land, and turned good land into scrubby crap. That program and the program paying people to plant pine trees can both be done away with in their entirety as far as I am concerned!!!

The problem with the majority of the well "paid" farmers is that they EXPECT to be helped. They are not willing to change methods, spending habits or lifestyles to meet the challenges of todays agriculture. They still plant crops based solely on what our government will pay. It doesn't bother them that they know going in there is no profit in that crop based on the market alone. They keep getting the new truck every year and the wives AND kids get the new SUVs and we the people keep paying them. What has happened is our government has created another welfare sector of our society.

I do not know enough about how all this subsidy thing works to bad mouth it one way or another. I am sure there is people that abuse the system like in welfare and there are people that really need it to stay a float.

But one of the people on the list in my county after adding up all his Subsidies from Wheat, Sorghum, Corn, soybeans and Disaster. Could live a very good life on just what government gives him. He would not even need to try to work farm, just let it be a failure and live the good life.

The top ten names in my county are also the top ten wealthiest people. The one that gets the most money farms absolutely no crops. He owns many acres of commercial land at the coast as well. He has recently planted it with a few pine trees so it could be called timberland and be taxed differently.

Lazyacre":2qoiwos1 said:
The problem with the majority of the well "paid" farmers is that they EXPECT to be helped. They are not willing to change methods, spending habits or lifestyles to meet the challenges of todays agriculture. They still plant crops based solely on what our government will pay. It doesn't bother them that they know going in there is no profit in that crop based on the market alone. They keep getting the new truck every year and the wives AND kids get the new SUVs and we the people keep paying them. What has happened is our government has created another welfare sector of our society.

Bingo. My thoughts exactly. MOST row crop farmers (or the ones that I know) will lean up against their $45,000 truck with heated leather seats and a DVD player and complain about how bad farming is, then get in that truck and drive to their $250+ home and pull it into the garage next to their wife's $40,000 SUV, ski boat, jet skis, four wheelers, and on and on and on. I have always defended farmers and have a tremendous amount of respect for SOME of them, but for the ones who live like that and piss and moan about it constantly, let them come live on my salary for a year and see which they would rather do. They complain about barely paying out at the end of the year or not paying out at all. Hey, I've got an idea, readjust your lifestyle and live like most other "normal" people and then you will have a much better chance of paying out if they don't have notes on a half million dollars worth of luxuries (or more in a lot of cases I'm sure). Sorry, I just had to get that off my chest.

Zach

Did not see any subsidies listed for Cattle? Do they only give away money for crops or are ranchers getting a piece of this pie also?

Its mostly Row crop land owners. If you own land that has been row cropped before you could be eligable for a check.

In my county it says we have a livestock subsidy and these other guys are collecting it.

I talked to a Gov subsidy lady the other day about getting a check some row crop land. I asked her if I had to actually grow a crop. She said no that all I had to do was be able to sign my name/make my mark and I could pick up my "direct payment" check . The check amounted to 38.00 per acre. She said I could get a "counter cyclical check" ,20.00 per acre, If I could sign my name and I planted a crop and the price of the crop fell below the "loan value" of the crop .

Folks , I have never seen a bigger rip off for the taxpayers than this.

Some of that money recieved falls under the EQIP program. For those that dont know the county agents office handles the money and give it out on a cost share basis. A farmer can chose from a variety of things like new ponds, cross-fencing, reseeding a field, buffer strips and so on. They usually pay 50-75% but you have to have the job completely done and they will come out and inspect it and then cut a check. So you cant just go out and blow the money on whatever you want.

J&T Farm":2bzgm7u2 said:
Some of that money recieved falls under the EQIP program. For those that dont know the county agents office handles the money and give it out on a cost share basis. A farmer can chose from a variety of things like new ponds, cross-fencing, reseeding a field, buffer strips and so on. They usually pay 50-75% but you have to have the job completely done and they will come out and inspect it and then cut a check. So you cant just go out and blow the money on whatever you want.
Trust me, with the cost of T-Posts, wire, and Labor, there is not some windfall check when your done to go out and blow. I'm on the last leg of my Cross Fence program, they will pay 75% of the materials and labor, when I'm done.

Here's the conclusion ive come to...since you guys dont get them you bad mouth them. If they are offered who is gonna turn them down if you do pretty stupid. Im not saying they are 100% right but moneys there take it. Some of these programs are very necessary for instance have you seen the price of corn lately 1.50 tell me a farmer that is goin to make a money even if he raises 200 bushel corn. Im a very low cost farmer but I cant even do it for that. This year will seperate the men from the boys though...the men being the low cost producers but there are other parts of farming non farmers dont understand like many times at the end of the year you have to buy something in a certain areas of your taxes to keep from paying your life savings to the govt. thats where the 45,000 dollar trucks come in that get used a lot and most have 100,000 on them when they trade them back in.

I hope i can help you guys. I am a rancher in central texas. My name apperars in the list. I have recieved some help for pasture lost two years ago and this year i insured my hay fields. Ihope to get enough to cover my spending on hay loss. The ins. is not expensive but you do have to declar you hay land a year in advance.

The EQUIP program has helped me a lot.

I took over 70 acres this year and the gov't paid for 90% of all of my cross fences, and one fence that borders woods (wildlife protection). I was already going to use many of the practices that they require (rotational grazing, etc), so it was a good fit for me. They will also pay me $10/acre to keep grass height at least 2" high. All of the things that they expouse are conservatory practices, which in the long run will help the gov't. It did require some red tape, but I've already received over $7,000 this year. Nice to be able to use to buy more cows.

Don't know if the Equip program is the same in all states, but if anyone want to pm me maybe I can help.

Hey my name is on that list too. For all you that want to bad mouth it , just try it. Put your self in my shoes . First get in debt for over 1 million dollars. Then have a 100,000$ fertlizer bill. spend 100,000$ per year on payroll , spend another 75-100,000 on land rent. have a fuel bill for 50,000 per year. pay 20,000 for property taxes . 25,000 for insurance and I could go on all night . Now . corn is 1.80 per bushel. beans are 5.80 per bu. and wheat may be 3.00 /bu . Hell my grand pa sold corn 40 years ago for 2.50 /bu and in the 60's got 6.00/bu for beans. It dont ad up , I hant got no job in town , I work 80 hrs a week every week . All my cost have gone up tremendously , but what we sell still is at the mercy of the market.I dont have a sinlge tractor less than 10 years old and my truck is a 1995 model . I think I live very simple. Not many people my age (39) is willing to try it, but I did . I know what it is like trying to make payments on bills when you dont have the money . Lay awake at night trying to figure out how you can make a big payment on something like I have . Every body should try it , then I think you would see it differrently . Just my humble opinion , and I am entitled to it.

i checked it out. i didnt see anybody i know that WASNT on it who farms.

cypressfarms":3o3t1rlc said:

I took over 70 acres this year and the gov't paid for 90% of all of my cross fences, and one fence that borders woods (wildlife protection). I was already going to use many of the practices that they require (rotational grazing, etc), so it was a good fit for me. They will also pay me $10/acre to keep grass height at least 2" high. All of the things that they expouse are conservatory practices, which in the long run will help the gov't. It did require some red tape, but I've already received over $7,000 this year. Nice to be able to use to buy more cows.

Don't know if the Equip program is the same in all states, but if anyone want to pm me maybe I can help.
Hey my name is on that list also. Ive been signed up with it for several years nad it has helped me alot also.

I'm not knocking anyone making use of money that's available to them but polledbull - do I detect a taste of sour grapes? Your post makes it sound like you have got things real bad. I'm thinking perhaps you tried to grow too big, too fast. Why put yourself 1 million dollars in debt? Markets have been low before so maybe that should have been used when figuring out if you could afford all that debt. I wish I had equipment as new as yours. Everything we are using has been in the antique lines at the county fairs for years. We would like to grow a little more but aren't willing to put ourselves on the line like that. All the same our family is well fed, we are clothed, we have heat and air conditioning, and our children have the gidgets and gadgets that our morals allow. We do fine being little and increasing as we get money - not as we borrow money.

Right now the feed cost per cwt to finish a steer is $24.72 (Cattle Today Oct 15, pg 36 550-1250 lbs). That comes out to ONLY $171.50 worth of feed to finish a carcass that is worth ~$1209 (based on a 770 lb Choice carcass plus hide and offal worth). There is no way the crop dudes are going to be able to produce grain THAT cheap (with their $280,000 combines, $20,000 planters, $90,000 sprayers, and $85,000 tractors) without that government subsidy check. Instinctively, I don't like ANY subsidy program; but in THIS industry we benefit from the cheap grain more than any crop farmer. Believe it or not it is in our self interest to continue paying the crop guys to sell grain at far below the real costs. IF the taxpayer is not paying these guys direct subsidy payments, we will have to EVENTUALLY make that up by paying the FULL price for feed out of our own pockets either directly or in reduced prices for our feeder calves.

J&T Farm":1xpre1fl said:
cypressfarms":1xpre1fl said:

Hey my name is on that list also. Ive been signed up with it for several years nad it has helped me alot also.

10.00 per acre to keep the grass 2 inches high :roll: