Get black baldie calves, with out Herford pinkeye?

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I know to get black baldies you need Herford cows and Black Angus bull,but I was wondering if I bought black baldie hefiers and a black baldie bull that was not direct blood kin,what percentage of them would calf black baldie calves? Are would they come out solid black? I know the hefords as breed cows,we use to constantly have to treat for pink eye and when you start culling and sale them at the barn they just want bring what a black white face cow will,thats why I wondered if I could still get the black white face calves with black white face cows and bull together and not have to worry with the pinkeye.Thanks

[email protected]

Managment will preveny pinkeye problems 99% of the time. Breeding BWF to BWF you would get mostly BWF and maybe a few btockle faces. The WF gene works in cobination with other face color genes. Angus don't have a face color gene that makes the WF gene dominant. You would expect to get 25% of the calves being red. A neighbor spends a good amount of his time treating pinkeye, he has Holstein feeder steers. We have pure Herefords, red baldies, black baldies, pure red Angus and pure black Angus. A couple of years ago we had to treat one heifer for pinkeye, she was a black Angus. If there is no pigmentation on the eyelids there is a greater tendency for pinkeye only because the unpigmented skin is more attractive to flys.

dun

> I know to get black baldies you
> need Herford cows and Black Angus
> bull,but I was wondering if I
> bought black baldie hefiers and a
> black baldie bull that was not
> direct blood kin,what percentage
> of them would calf black baldie
> calves? Are would they come out
> solid black? I know the hefords as
> breed cows,we use to constantly
> have to treat for pink eye and
> when you start culling and sale
> them at the barn they just want
> bring what a black white face cow
> will,thats why I wondered if I
> could still get the black white
> face calves with black white face
> cows and bull together and not
> have to worry with the
> pinkeye.Thanks

> Managment will preveny pinkeye
> problems 99% of the time. Breeding
> BWF to BWF you would get mostly
> BWF and maybe a few btockle faces.
> The WF gene works in cobination
> with other face color genes. Angus
> don't have a face color gene that
> makes the WF gene dominant. You
> would expect to get 25% of the
> calves being red. A neighbor
> spends a good amount of his time
> treating pinkeye, he has Holstein
> feeder steers. We have pure
> Herefords, red baldies, black
> baldies, pure red Angus and pure
> black Angus. A couple of years ago
> we had to treat one heifer for
> pinkeye, she was a black Angus. If
> there is no pigmentation on the
> eyelids there is a greater
> tendency for pinkeye only because
> the unpigmented skin is more
> attractive to flys.

> dun

Hey dun,

What percentage of black baldie calves do you think I would get with black baldie hefiers breed to a black angus bull? Do you think it would be more that way,than with black baldie heifers and balck baldie bull breeding together? Thanks dun, and any others coments welcome.

[email protected]

Ok, here is the color gene deal. Each parent passes one color gene, B-Black, b-Red. From an animal that is Bb-heterozygous black, it may pass either the B or the b. If an animal is BB-homozygous black, all it can pass is B. A single B makes the animal black, it may have the recessive b gene, but it is still black. There are a few pure black Angus that carry a recessive red gene, but proably noy enough to be sugnificant. With both cow and bull being heterozygous black, each could pass a B or a b. If either one passes the dominant B the off spring will be black. If one of the parents is homozygous black it doesn't matter if the other parent is heterozygous black Bb, or homozygous red bb. Possuble combinayions freom hetero. parents are Bb, BB,bB, bb. that means 1 in 4 would be red. Possible combinations of one hetero. anbd one homo are BB, Bb, so one haf would carry the recessive b-red gene, but it would still be black. Hope that wasn't too confusing with the b's and B's. BTW it works the same with polled-P and horned-p, the capital letter is dominant

dun

> Hey dun,

> What percentage of black baldie
> calves do you think I would get
> with black baldie hefiers breed to
> a black angus bull? Do you think
> it would be more that way,than
> with black baldie heifers and
> balck baldie bull breeding
> together? Thanks dun, and any
> others coments welcome.

Use a Black Longhorn Bull. Longhorns a virutally immune to pinkeye, per a study done by Iowa State Univ. Not to mention the other benefits you will get from using a Longhorn. If your herfords are polled, then breeding to a longhorn bull they will generally not get horns.

[email protected]

Latest posts