gestational period question

Help Support CattleToday:

Carrie

Reaction score
Hello, I'm new to this board so please bear with me if this question is not in the right place. We raise registered Angus, but AI'd two of our cows to a Maine cross. Both of these cows are overdue (one by 1 week, the other by almost 2). I've palped them both and the calves have turned and both moms are bagging up etc. Do Maines have a longer gestational period than Angus? Should I be thinking about inducing labor? Any help would be appreciated. I've not been able to find any info re:variations in breed gestational periods anywhere on the Net. Thanks in advance!

Carrie

Carrie":25o98hi2 said:
Hello, I'm new to this board so please bear with me if this question is not in the right place. We raise registered Angus, but AI'd two of our cows to a Maine cross. Both of these cows are overdue (one by 1 week, the other by almost 2). I've palped them both and the calves have turned and both moms are bagging up etc. Do Maines have a longer gestational period than Angus? Should I be thinking about inducing labor? Any help would be appreciated. I've not been able to find any info re:variations in breed gestational periods anywhere on the Net. Thanks in advance!

Carrie

Chill out are you basing the due date on 283 day gestation. This is not precicse as some breeds carry a little longer than others. If I remember correctly there is about a two week difference between breeds. Are these first time heifers or older cows.

Can't find Maine gestation tables but can tell you that Brahman cattle have a longer gestation than English, average 291 days, which works out to two weeks longer than English cattle.

Since the Maine's are big they could possibly have a longer gestation.

Boy, you guys are quick-thanks. The moms are both 5 year olds with great calving records. I was using the 283 mark. We're sort of Nervous-Nelly's here. We have a small herd (30 or so) of "pet Angus" This is worse than waiting for my own kids to be born!

14 days either side of the calculated due date is considered within the range of normalcy.
We had a heifer 12 days over due and asked the vet what his thoughts were on inducing labor. In his opinion it just opens a different can-of-worms.
And you're right. Waiting for calves to be born is horribly nerve racking. Sometimes I almost envy the people that just run a bull and have no idea when their cows are bred.

dun

Carrie":3fhzedre said:
Boy, you guys are quick-thanks. The moms are both 5 year olds with great calving records. I was using the 283 mark. We're sort of Nervous-Nelly's here. We have a small herd (30 or so) of "pet Angus" This is worse than waiting for my own kids to be born!