gestation

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I have 3 new calves on the ground, all by the same low birth EPD sire. 2 baldies and 1 Angus. The Herefords were both heifers and delivered early, 8 & 13 days respectively. The Angus cow was 2 days early. Isn't this unusual? I used the Angus table to figure due dates and since all were AI'd there is no mistaken conception dates. Should I have used a different table to figure when the Herefords would calf?

[email protected]

First, anything from two weeks early to two weeks early is actually considered pretty much normal. Angus gestation is 283 days, Herefords 288. Now the catch, heifers can come anytime. This year we've had heifers calve from 4 days to 13 days early for twins. The cows have been 282 days. Have a cow we're waiting for now that as a heifer last year was 9 days early, she's due Saturday and hasn't started bagging yet. Seems like gestation tables are just a guideline, they're not graven in stone. My wife thinks it may be better to use a bull cause you don't know for sure when they're bred so it isn't as stressfull. RIGHT Cow we're waiting on is Hereford bred to the same Red Angus bull we used last year. The cows are Angus bred to a Hereford, the heifers are all Red or black Angus.

dunmovin farms

> I have 3 new calves on the ground,
> all by the same low birth EPD
> sire. 2 baldies and 1 Angus. The
> Herefords were both heifers and
> delivered early, 8 & 13 days
> respectively. The Angus cow was 2
> days early. Isn't this unusual? I
> used the Angus table to figure due
> dates and since all were AI'd
> there is no mistaken conception
> dates. Should I have used a