Gestation Length

Help Support CattleToday:

cmf1

Reaction score
Anybody know or suspect that there is a correlation between gestation length and early/later maturing calves?
Just a thought as I am waiting on calves from different AI bulls bred same time frame.
Thanks

I don;t think that a weeks difference in gestation is going to make a real difference in mauturity age. Different bulls will have different maturity ages for their offspring as will the cow. We bred 2 cows to the same bull, one was due the 21st and was born on the 14th, the other was due on the 20th and was born on the 16th. As long as the heifers are sexaully mature by the time they're yealrings I don;t worry about days.

Of the four I bred same day for est. 2/18/13 delivery,
3 year old first time heifer calved 2/09/13 to a -0.2 gest. bull.
13 year old cow calved 2/13/13 to a -0.2 gest. bull.
2 year old first time heifer still waiting to a +0.4 gest. bull.
5 year old cow still waiting to a +0.6 gest. bull.

Since I'm still green and greener still to the AI and numbers breeding, I was curious if any numbers crunchers have crunched correlation to gest. and maturing.

The stuff that flies around my head sometimes.
Thanks Dun

We have bred the same group of cows to the same bull over the last 3 years. The first 2 years everything calved 10-14 days past due date with 75-90 lb calves. This years they are calving 10-14 days ahead of due date with 60-75 lb calves. Only one calved exactly like she has the last 2 years with an 82 lb bull calf. Cows may be a tick thinner that previous years. Calves are vigorous and tough coming into life at -20 below zero with no issues.

Latest posts