Gestation Length

Help Support CattleToday:

Thats what I thought Jake, they are breeding one the 2nd heat at about 45 days, not on the first.
mtnman

mtnman":3oxhkhws said:
Thats what I thought Jake, they are breeding one the 2nd heat at about 45 days, not on the first.
mtnman

even so they are calving at 9-10 months instead of 11-12.5 like most people's.....

dun":y53jnz86 said:
We did move one bunch up yyears ago, but these girls don;t need to be moved up. That's exactly the problem. They're disruptive as .... right now. Just seemed strange that so many of them would start cycling this early. I may have good forage, but I sure don;t have that good of forage. It's just that old cow killer high endophyte fescue mixed with clover and OG. Certainly nothing special, it's the same composition as all, or at least almost all of the other pastures. I've been rotating 20 some head plus calves through 2 6 acre paddocks. Just seems strange. Maybe the next time the vet swings by to BS I'll ask him what he thinks is going on.

dun

Yacked with the vet yesterday, He thinks the early heat ting has to do with fertility of the cows and good nutrition. When I commented that we're not doing anything any different then previous years he commented that, "well, it's a different year".
I'm wondering if because of the growth patterns of the grass this year because of the milkd winter and the cooler then normal spring, maybe the grass is growing slower so we're not having the flush of rapidly growing low nutrition grass that we usually have now. Sort of makes sense to me that if they spend x amount of time grazing and they're ingesting more solid forage and less moisture that it would improve the nutritional value ofthe grass.
Any thoughts on that?

dun

If the grass is staying in the high quality/nutritional Phase I and Phase II for longer periods of time, and hence there is less bulk, it would seem to make sense that the cows are getting more nutrition for a given consumption of forage, which is what I think dun said. As I understand it, keeping the nutritional value of forage high is one of the sought after attirbutes of controlled grazing.

Although I know most folks on this board are well familiar with these principles, here's a link to a paper discussing the subject with regard to forage nutrition.

http://www.foothill.net/~ringram/principl.htm

i had a line of cows all related, my grandfather started. mother and daughters, for about 4 generations. sired by angus bulls. they would calve every 10 month.they worked thier way through the year. they calved one year the last week in january and again the first of december. the bull ran with them year round.
i have a cow now, calved feb.11th 2003, then april 8,2004, this year feb 22nd. i run the bull 60 days now.

Yacked with the vet yesterday, He thinks the early heat ting has to do with fertility of the cows and good nutrition. When I commented that we're not doing anything any different then previous years he commented that, "well, it's a different year".
I'm wondering if because of the growth patterns of the grass this year because of the milkd winter and the cooler then normal spring, maybe the grass is growing slower so we're not having the flush of rapidly growing low nutrition grass that we usually have now. Sort of makes sense to me that if they spend x amount of time grazing and they're ingesting more solid forage and less moisture that it would improve the nutritional value ofthe grass.
Any thoughts on that?

dun

Yes, the grass would be less "washie" (less water) therefore better/more concentrated nutrition. Should show less signs of the green squirts - although any green grass will get them squirting.
If only I had such problems. I do notice our lawns are getting brigher green. Springs coming, springs coming (if I keep telling myself that, it's not so hard to wollow in the mud)
Buried by tractor yesterday (756D Inter'l) not 4-w. Had to get friend over to pull me out. Frost is totally out of the ground now. Should start drying up now (please, please).

Latest posts