Gestation length for Brahman influenced heifers ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Ky hills

Reaction score
I have 2 Brahman influenced heifers one a registered Santa Gertrudis, and the other possibly half Brahman, half Hereford, bred AI to an Angus. The due date is Feb 21. My question is should I expect a longer gestation or similar to my Angus, and bwf heifers.
If the weather is very cold and or snowy, I like to have close up cows or heifers in the barn to calve, otherwise I think they are better off outside. These 2 really look close and more so than 2 Angus due the same time. Is it a bit too early for them to calve yet?

I would guess they would be about inline with your others. Mine typically calve within a two week window- 1 week before to 1 week after, but there are always exceptions. Heifers seem to be harder to guess on a lot of times since many will bag up earlier than a cow will. That's good you are planning ahead just in case. Mine seem to wait til I'm not around or can't be there to have theirs.

I start watching all heifers at about 275 days, by 282 the chance of them calving is significant, and by 290 pretty much all heifers have always calved.. cows.. I've had them go to 305 (the watched pot never calves!).
What is the due date of Feb 21st based on?, my herd average is about 287 if it's a heifer calf, and 290 if its a bull calf.

It might be tiresome, but you will never regret keeping an eye on them earlier than necessary.. you can only kick yourself forever if you didn't

Brahman influenced heifers and cows seem to show signs of giving birth earlier than English crosses in my opinion. They get allot looser in the tail end than English cows as well. So if not accustom to them they will make you think their calf is coming earlier but it really isn't. I have seen some Gerts especially where it looks as if the cow got up to fast the calf may accidently slide out. That is how swollen and loose they were. Once they reach that point give them about another week or two and you will have your calf on the ground.

Thanks y'all.
I checked the Angus Assn. sites gestation calculator, it said due date Feb 19. It is probably based on 281 days, the chart I used at first must have been 283 days. Looked them over this evening, they do look more pronounced under their tails, but udders aren't real full yet. I tend to jump the gun and start worrying about heifers calving before they are really ready, I have been surprised by some over the years, I guess is why. I think it's true the watched pot never calves, at least until I've about give up on them.

Latest posts