Gert x Hereford cross question

Help Support CattleToday:

dun":3b503tf5 said:
What I have never understood is the people that claim that the (more or less) stablized composit breed, i.e Gerts, beefmaster, brangus, etc. are considered pure breeds but a Simmenthal with about the only thing left from angus is color are thought of as not being pure.

You are dead on Dun a Gert or Brangus are crossbred cows in my book just stablized. I can stand in a pasture of Brangus and look at the girls that have more of the Angus or Brahman DNA that showed up to the party. These associations are bragging about the fact the used different breeds to create what is there now.
The difference in my book is there is no slide of hand movement you know when you buy Brangus it is Angus/Brahman genetics. The same goes for Gert's and Beefmasters what breeds compose the animal. On Beefmaster's the people that developed the breed say they are not sure the percentage's of the parent animals.
There are a lot of people that actually think that those other breeds come in black. The only reason they went black was chasing CAB. Now if they want to market the animal as Simangus, Gelangus and etc. go far it don't try to sell me something that isn't the real thing.
Man for centuries selected these breeds for certain traits, in a few short years we have selected them based on color.
No one will every convince me once you put Angus DNA in you can breed it all out but the color.
CAB was marketing genius, I think it was one of the most harmful thing's to come along to the cattle industry in my lifetime. I have watched breed's destroyed IMO to get black.
You watch it everyday at the salebarn when a better red calf goes across the scales for less than a sorry black one the cattleman is going to chase that dollar.
There is a Black Bull standing in my pasture not because I actually think he is better, because my customer's want a black replacement and I don't get dinged at the salebarn. I am chasing the same dollar I am just not trying to BS myself. :2cents:

JustSimmental":2pzcv6t0 said:
We have never been in the quantity pounds business. I can't recall anyone making more money with quantity pounds over quality pounds. Think about it-- take an extreme example (not that this doesn't happen) Say we have (2) 600 lb carcasses and 1 is High Choice/ Low Prime and one is Select. The high choice/low prime carcass will make more $$ than the select one will --every time... hamburger just isn't ever gonna be worth what Prime rib is worth. If you like working hard for Select -- that's fine--as Mc Donalds needs the burger and wally world does too.

I don't know anyone "lying" about their weaning weights, but what you are seeing here is that the AAA uses an EPD index from 1974--think about all the genetic improvement since 1974 --its huge-- this is why Angus is able to show these 50+ WW and 100+ YW EPD's. This is not new information.
Simmental uses an Index from 1992 (which is getting a bit old as well) and when we balance Angus and Simmental we see the writing on the wall. An Angus like MYTTY who in the AAA site has a WW of 55 and a YW of 99-- when balanced with Simmental it becomes WW = 27 YW = 71, which is what we are seeing on the ground. This is where the discrepancies arise.
Cattle that pass all the qualifications for CAB are only 8% in the US, so you don't have to worry about that... Most black cattle are NOT getting CAB premiums anyway.

As far as the so-called imposters like Black Simmental-- I can explain this easily. In the 70's SImmental breeders knew that their current phenotype was not going to cut it in the marketplace- plain and simple -- these are the facts.

Simmental was the first breed association to allow other breed influences regardless of color to help PB Simm compete in the marketplace. Basically anyone can upgrade to PB. This gives outside genetics an opportunity to turn a once unmarketable animal into a better one by taking those genetic traits from other breeds (not just Angus) to compliment the Simmental. The Fleckvieh Federation is still around for those who prefer the heritage genetics and they have been working very hard to make the FB Simmental more marketable as well.

No one in the PB Simmental business is hiding any facts. These other breed influences have made what the PB Simmental are today. A prime example: A hugely popular Black PB Simmental Sire: Circle S Leachman 600 U DOB 1986--- he goes back to a Horned Hereford cow. Some outside Influences are good.

Red Angus---- the only reason there is a Red Angus Association today is that AAA wouldn't have them, so all the red cattle were chosen "initially" on color (phenotype alone) instead of performance --that is kinda scary. We have PB Simm, PB Blk Angus, PB Hereford, PBAR, and another breed here which blows all the others away in quality pounds.

JS

If we are not in the pounds business why then is every association bragging( lieing) about there breeds growth and weaning weights. A lot of those 205 day weight's are on calves three or four months older. Not that registered breeders would fudge the papers. It is about money plan and simple two things bring a premium black hide and pounds across the scale. If that wasn't true you wouldn't have the Simm, Limm, Maine and almost every other association using Angus genetics to get black hide. If Simm's were good enough why didn't the association stick with them plan and simple another :bs: job to get at Angus premiums. Not that I agree with CAB but it was marketing genius. There might be more associations that don't allow black the only two I know of is Hereford and Shorthorn.
[/quote] it might be kinda scary to you, but its probably the best thing that AAA done for the red angus breed ...looks like without all the dilutions its been working great for them

Star 5 Heifer 1/2 Gert and 1/2 Hereford

1105110848_0001.jpg

Thanks for pictures. Cattle looks good. What type of cross is the black cow in the background?

It is half Angus 1/4 Gert and 1/4 Hereford. I know it is starting to get allot of ingrediants in the pot but her mom was a real go getter so I had to give one of her calfs a try and she did really good with her first calf this year bred back to an Angus bull.

Latest posts