Gert Hereford Cross

Help Support CattleToday:

Oockla

Reaction score
Wanted to get everyone's opinion on a 1/4 Gert x 3/4 polled Hereford cross bull in general. Planning to run on angus and char cows. Small operation but had access to this cross bull so I was thinking about it.

I'll try to post a pic

I love cross bulls on commercial cows. I am using a half hereford half brangus bull on brangus cows and the calves are phenomenal. The gert hereford cross should be a great bull.

Gert Hereford is a great cross for a cow, probably not many folks would recommend a crossbred bull though. I did end up and use an Angus X Beefmaster bull this year on four head that I wanted to feed a little better than the others, they will be coming with second calves. It wasn't my intention to use that bull but the bull I had intended to run with them did not pass a BSE.

Like Ky hills I usually wouldn't recommend a crossbred bull. You'll generally get less consistency in the calves than you would with a purebred. However, you said it's a small operation, so I don't see any harm in using him for a year or two.

mini

mini

mini

The bull I was asking about, #58. Shows a little ear, but otherwise not much Gert showing. Of course everyone here knows a lot more than I!!

True Grit Farms":2yrzxi92 said:
I'm no fan of using a crossbred bull, especially on crossbred cows. If all you want is a calf he should provide that.

Dead on and the bull pictured that's about all he brings to the party.
Bad cow hurts bad bull is a disaster.
That is a lot of DNA crayons to be pulling out of the box.

Caustic Burno":2htt44mh said:
True Grit Farms":2htt44mh said:
I'm no fan of using a crossbred bull, especially on crossbred cows. If all you want is a calf he should provide that.

yep! Least with a bad cow you can move up using a good bull..the cow is where your at..the bull is where your going...up, down, sideways..ive been in all of em..

I hate speaking ill of someone's animal but that thing should be between two buns with cheese mayo mustard ketchup lettuce bacon and pickles with a side of fries.

Caustic Burno":1fypxnnx said:
True Grit Farms":1fypxnnx said:

Probabaly best calves he ever has. Lol. Would be my worst

Ok, im not getting into crossbred vs quality of pictured bull. I am just talking about my opinion on quality crossbred bulls. I have seen my neighbour use his own charolais 50% hereford sim cows other 50% bulls he kept out of an ai program for mopping up similar breed heifers after an ai program produce good calves. This guy is a 35 year in the game stlck agent who knows cattle. I challenge anyone to knock the job his crosx bred bull did paddock to plate he had the results.

Life is short try a cross bred bull. If you dont like it go another way its only one years calves potentially.