gert cross

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
I've read on here about gert crosses being registered (or equivilent) for crossbred calves. The only registered Red Angus we have left are both 1B, 90+ percent Red Angus. Do thir offspring from a reg gert bull count for the registered/equivilent program

It is my understanding that a calf can be registered as a Star 5, if it is at least 50% Santa Gertrudis and the sire or dam is a registered purebred Santa Gertrudis.

dun said:
I've read on here about gert crosses being registered (or equivilent) for crossbred calves. The only registered Red Angus we have left are both 1B, 90+ percent Red Angus. Do thir offspring from a reg gert bull count for the registered/equivilent program[/quote
From SGBI website - http://santagertrudis.com/documents/201 ... -Rules.pdf

Star Five:
The Grading Up Program known as Star Five provides SGBI members with the ability
to progress from a non-Santa Gertrudis base herd to purebred Santa Gertrudis status.
The program consists of three levels relating to the percentage of Santa Gertrudis.
Animals less than purebred will be recorded in the Herd Book and receive Star Five
Recordation Certificate indicating they're Percentage Santa Gertrudis. Recorded
animals must be permanently identified by fire band, freeze brand or tattoo with an
individual ID number. Multiple sire and/or multiple dam matings are allowed in the
Grading Up Program.
Level I. A minimum of 50% and less than 75% Santa Gertrudis resulting from the
mating of a purebred Santa Gertrudis parent and a non-Santa Gertrudis parent or the
mating of percentage Santa Gertrudis parents. Level I animals will be recorded as 50%
Santa Gertrudis, may be male or female, and will receive a Star Five percentage
recordation certificate.
Level II. A minimum of 75% and less than 87.5% Santa Gertrudis resulting from the
mating of a purebred Santa Gertrudis parent and a Level I recorded Santa Gertrudis
parent. Level II animals will be recorded as 75% Santa Gertrudis, may be male or
female, and will Receive a Star Five percentage recordation certificate.
Level III. A minimum of 87.5% Santa Gertrudis resulting from the mating of a purebred
Santa Gertrudis parent and a Level II recorded Santa Gertrudis parent. Level III
animals will be registered as purebred Santa Gertrudis, may be male or female, and will
receive a purebred registration certificate. Eligible cattle must be from one registered
Santa Gertrudis parent. These offspring are a first cross and are eligible for a Star Five
recorded paper. They can also begin the program for grading up to purebred status.
These cattle do not need to be inspected by a representative of the association.

BC: So it doesn;t matter if the cow is registered or commercail if it isn;t gert? The reason I ask, the people that bought this farm raise purebred gerts. Harold is here now and I really like him and his calves. Since we won;t ever own another bull (100% AI if I can handle) and the season he pulls the bull falls into our breeding season we have talked about borrowing him during the down time

dun":12pc9m8b said:
BC: So it doesn;t matter if the cow is registered or commercail if it isn;t gert? The reason I ask, the people that bought this farm raise purebred gerts. Harold is here now and I really like him and his calves. Since we won;t ever own another bull (100% AI if I can handle) and the season he pulls the bull falls into our breeding season we have talked about borrowing him during the down time

I'm not BC, but that is correct. Only one parent has to be registered Gert to allow in the Star 5 program. The other parent can be registered whatever, or a commercial animal.

dun":16bvcx8g said:
Yes only one parent has to be registered Santa Gertrudis to be a Star 5. It lets us have a grading up program.