Gert Cross heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

BC

Reaction score
This Charolais cow has another keeper out of my Santa Gertrudis bull. She calved in early January, 2013 and again on November 28, 2013. Both heifers are polled and have exceptional growth. Keeping these two and putting them in a grading up program.
GertxChar_hfr_2.jpg

I have a Polled Hereford Bull on my Gert Cross cows and love those calves. I just bought some Reg Gert Heifers to put him on as well. The heifer calves from this cross are awesome.

Very Nice!
But why do you leave the calves on the cow when they are almost as big as she is? (Not being sarcastic, just curious.)
I tend to do my weaning by size. Lol (As long as they are over 5 mos.) Just curious as to the benefits vs. the extra stress on the cow with that big of calf, if you have plenty of good grass??

A-RRanch":2gq7lx8i said:
I have a Polled Hereford Bull on my Gert Cross cows and love those calves. I just bought some Reg Gert Heifers to put him on as well. The heifer calves from this cross are awesome.

I agree on (Hereford x Gert) cross. I have found these are the best cows for my environment. Can't beat them with their fly, tick resistence and mothering ability and able to get out and earn a living and browse on less than optimum grasss. Take the heat with humidity and give you a calf every year. And the calves don't show too much ear if any at all when bred to Angus. Come out with a white to motley faced black hided calf. Only problem is finding a constant supply of them for a reasonable price. Had to get some gerts and a Horned Hereford bull to make my own. Finally reached the point I can raise them for less than I can buy them.

cloud9cattle":qblan6l9 said:
Do you have some examples of the gert cross on a cow with a little more ear in her?
Cloud9, I don't have any examples, but I have seen many. When I lived in Brenham, TX years ago, Mayfair Ranch used Santa Gertrudis bulls over F1 Brahman X Herefords and F1 Brahman x Angus females. Jim Theeck was manager of Mayfair and he told me that using the Gert bull on the crossbred cow let him raise a female that was as close to a half blood as you could get (about 7/16 Brahman influence). Mayfair Ranch was a big producer of replacement females from the late 1970's to the early 1990's, both F1 Brahman crosses and Santa Gertrudis crosses. The Gert cross heifers had to be branded at weaning time because a large percentage of them looked the part of the F1's.

BrangusCowGirl wrote
But why do you leave the calves on the cow when they are almost as big as she is?
I have friends that question me on this regularly. I wean at 7 to 8 months of age unless grass is short. My philosophy is why should that cow only work for half a year especially if I have grass. Plans are to wean in a week or two as I have a couple of December purebred Gert heifers going to kids for show heifers and I was waiting on them to get big enough to brand, but not so big that they cannot handle them.

BC The Mayfair is now the Rocking A owned by the Grandson of the founder. They are know for what they call a Star 5 Brazos Composite which is 1/2 Gert and 1/4 each Hereford and Gelbvieh Females...They still have Registered Gert herd too. Interesting I'd like to go look at their cattle.

Ive got two char/gert hiefers, I picked up from a member here. i had never really thought about that cross, until he posted a pic of his. I wish I had a trailer full of them.

We have several Gert char crosses. They are great cows. Two of the heifers we kept should be coming in about two months.
If I could figure out the picture posting thing I would show some of ours.

I would love to find done gerts to replace a few we've sold in the past year. But in ga they are awful hard to find.

Did somebody say gert cross. My favorite topic!!!
February heifer

Bigfoot looks like I got three char/gerts for that trailer so far !

Here is a registered gert from AI. Sired by Pusher 804 heifer. I also have a angus gert heifer in the back ground

Here is a registered heifer sired by Sledge

Fantastic looking. I wish I knew how to post pics. My favorite looks just like the first pic you have there. I really love my Beefmaster cows but its hard to beat the calves that my Polled Herf throws on those Gert cows...

I weighed the Gert x Charolais heifer this afternoon. She weighed 685 lbs at 194 days old. Her 205 adjusted weaning weight was 724. She wasn't the heaviest calf, but was the highest ratioing heifer.

Here are two of our Gert x Charlaois heifers
The first one calved last week and the second should be in any day now. Thanks for looking

Latest posts