German Dumpling Recipe

Help Support CattleToday:

CKC1586

Reaction score
Okay, my Great Grandma was this fiesty little German lady. She was wonderful and could she cook. She also was thrifty beyond thrifty. Dad said that the only thing she didn't use on a butchered hog was the squeal. I was pretty young when we lost her but do have fond memories of being taught how to make home made noodles and kneflies (don't know if that is the right spelling). She made the very best sugar cookies in the world that no one has been able to duplicate. She used lard and I think that may be the reason we can't get the right taste/texture.
Now she used to make these liver dumpling things (I know, I do not like liver either but these things were good) and there was no recipe that we know of. I am not even sure which liver she used but I think it must have been chicken livers? Any one out there have an idea what I am talking about??? Got a recipe?

No idea. Can you describe it a bit better.
Hows the liver done, chopped up, ground up, whole?
Type of dough? Regular bread or pasta type?

I don't know anything about the liver dumplings but my grandma and my mom always make bread or flour and lard dumplings that go on top of beef stew.

My grandma was a whiz with anything as well , I think it has to do with having no money when they got married and then having a large family to look after. In the winter you lived from what you could make with what you had at hand, you couldn't make a quick trip to the store and you didn't have freezers.

I remember her knoephla soup and another dish she made with knoephla with butter bread crumbs and bacon. My mom now makes them quite often.. I would make it if I knew that Mr. HD would eat eat. Who knows his is becoming more adaptable I may have to try it.

Knoephla Soup

TIME: Prep: 20 min. Cook: 40 min.

Ingredients:
1/2 cup butter, cubed
3 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 small onion, grated
3 cups milk
6 cups water
6 teaspoons chicken or 3 vegetable bouillon cubes
KNOEPHLA:
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 egg, beaten
5 to 6 tablespoons milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
Directions:
In a large skillet, melt butter; cook potatoes and onion for 20-25 minutes or until tender. Add milk; heat through but do not boil. Set aside. In a soup kettle or Dutch oven, bring water and bouillon to a boil.
Meanwhile, combine knoephla ingredients to form a stiff dough. Roll into a 1/2-in. rope. Cut into 1/4-in. pieces and drop into boiling broth. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the potato mixture; heat through. Yield: 8-10 servings (2-1/2 quarts).

My Grandmother on my mothers side was first generation German, She could to wonders with liver and did. Some of the stuff we as kids liked OK some not. All kinds of liver! Pork liver, :shock: I think you got to know what your doing. Anyway, I'm not sure the next generations would take the time. If they did, probably screw it up. :nod:

Sorry I didn't get back in here sooner. Been busier than a cat covering poop.
These dumplings were alot like the kneflies so I have to think that it was cooked and ground/mashed liver that was added to the dough. But they were lighter in texture so she may have added some milk? The noodles are eggs, flour salt and pepper and you mix with a wooden spoon until the dough comes away from the spoon, then you flour your board and knead the dough till it stiffens up a bit then roll out the dough and cut into noodles. The kneflies were basically the same thing except you mix the dough until it chases the spoon, then you pinch your dough and kind of roll it with your fingers dropping it into your broth either chicken or beef. I never saw her use a recipe but I sure am glad she showed me how to make these things. She was a neat lady.

hillsdown":1793hyx8 said:
http://library.ndsu.edu/grhc/foods/recipe/swift2.htm

This is a good link for German dishes, a lot are what my grandma on my moms side made. Her parents were Russian Germans as well as my grandpa..
That looks like a neat site. I searched for liver dumplings and got a list but it won't let you see the recipe it wants you to buy the cook book. I may just have to buy one of those books.... Thanks HD.

Latest posts