Gerber Watchfire 117F

Help Support CattleToday:

I like Watchfire and considered useing him for AI purposes. I decided against him in favor of Huth Propsector N065. I don't believe anyone would go wrong using Watchfire , he's a good sire.

Speaking of Watchfire he has the 517 bull as sire , but he also breeds back to King 10. King 10 is in the Huth Stack Deck linage as well. Can anyone comment on King 10 ? He appears to be a very thick producing sire and was horned.

I could be wrong on some of my statements the hereford search site is not working correctly right now, but I think I've got everything correct.

I got a bull (42476942) that breeds back to King 10 and RF Positive Plus 73C that I'm using for cleanup after AI servicing. He will be 18 months old at that time and has not sired any calves yet , so I don't know exactly what to expect from him. His epd's are OK but not near the quality that I am trying to breed for.

Watchfire is marketed as a top carcass bull, and he was especially highly ranked as such when I first entered the registered seedstock business a few years ago. Since then, there are many more young bulls that are competitive carcass sires. Watchfire is one of the better values to use AI. His bloodlines are top-notch, and last I checked I think it was $15 per straw and $45 per certificate. In my opinion, Watchfire would be an excellent bull to use on MW LLL Farley 24F daughters, or the other way around. Farley is a tremendous carcass sire as well. They are both fairly moderate in BW, although Farley has a distinct advantage. Farley is about breed average for growth, while Watchfire is probably 10 pounds above on yearling. Farley is a trait leader on REA.

It is true Watchfire has some good carcass merits, and we know some carcass merits (ie: IMF) are genetically passed with a higher percentage. So, in that respect he should be very good. I believe his calves and his daughters are only moderate in size, but seem to flesh out easily. I have heard that the daughters do not milk as good as many people would like, some even say they "don't milk", but they still seem to raise a good calf, and I have not herd (or seen) any ugly udder stories associated with his daughters. (Doug Gerber was good about udder quality) I would think watchfire would make a good terminal sire, and with the right matings probably make some good cows. I would add length and milk to any matings I made for replacements. Gerber Linesman, who's semen is for sale and who's picture can be seen at the AHA site, is out of a Watchfire daughter. Gerber Lombardi's Dam is very closly related to that same Watchfire daughter. (517, GK Queen Ten, King Ten, Trish 45D) Watchfire or his full brother do not get that much attention nowadays. I would suspect his calves to be in the upper 80's with some in the 90's. Definately not little.

Gerber Watchfire has been a great bull in his day. I have seen some of his progeny at some sales this past fall, and they were impressive. We were going to attempt to use him, but never did. he is not a calving ease bull, but can be used on cows only. He has great carcass numbers and is very thick and showy looking. He is a deceased bull. Milk on watchfire is only a 14. Daughters are usely dark red and some of them may have horns or scurred. :cboy:

I have never seen any of Watchfire's calves around here. Might not be looking in the right place either. Then again...I don't remember ever looking.

The only pic I have ever seen of the bull is the head on shot (like Major League's). And I tend to think that someone is hiding something with a picture like that. JHO

I have never used Lombardi. The one Accelerated Genetics bull I use right now is World Class. That is all I use from them. I guess Lombardi is a good bull. I have seen his calves before and they are not bad looking creatures. :cboy:

Latest posts