Gentle breed for 1st time 4Her

Help Support CattleToday:

For british breeds I would suggest Red Angus or Hereford, for continental Gelbvieh. For dairy Brown Swiss

dunmovin farms

> What is a good breed 2 start off
> with? THANKS

You know I can't say that breed really matters although I beleive that Murray Greys and Herefords as a whole can be quite forgiving. The worst thing you can do is pick one up at an auction market..... you really can't assess temperment in the ring.

The best thing that you can do is choose a few breeds you fancy, then make some farm visits. If the owner handles his cattle to any degree he will know which calves are the most people friendly. Choose disposition over conformation, growth etc. You want your 4H'r to have fun and grow in skills and confidence, not to have a fearful experience.

[email protected]

I haven't worked with many Shorthorns lately. I really liked them in the past and still have a soft spot for them, but of late the ones I have been around have been HUGE and way to hairy. But disposition wise they are up there with the others.

dunmovin farms

> You all forgot the wonderful
> Shorthorn!

It doesn't matter what breed you pick. You can't just say, "Oh, this breed is great dispo so I am safe buying it". ALL breeds have "goofy" cattle & all breeds have quite ones. Yes, some breeds are known for good or bad dispositions, but the individual animal is all you need to be concerned about. Pick a breed you want to own & than pick a reliable breeder to buy it from. Jeanne <A HREF="http://www.SimmeValley.com" TARGET="_blank">http://www.SimmeValley.com</A> Simme Valley in NY
> What is a good breed 2 start off
> with? THANKS

[email protected]

Sure would put the Simmental breed up there with any in terms of best disposition overall.

I would also lean to the Herefords, but am predjudiced about that... main thing is to visit a reputable breeder and check their cattle out. If they show cattle (if they sell to 4H'ers they may also show) try to see their cattle in action in the ring... how they handle them, how the cattle respond, etc. That's another good indicator. In fact, going to a few shows before purchasing an animal might be a good idea- it's a good place to meet up with lots of different breeds and to also find breeders to purchase from.

[email protected]

Latest posts