• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Genex bull Live Ammo

Fire Sweep Ranch

Reaction score
Many on here have asked about Live Ammo calves (http://genex.crinet.com/beef/index.php? ... 58&lang=EN). We have had our first two this week, so I thought we would share our experience with him.
This first calf is out of a half blood Upgrade female that has had lots of calves for us. She was 273 days bred and had a 74.6 pound heifer calf. Her calf last year was 290 days. Seems to be a lively heifer, and going strong.

This one was born early this morning, and we assisted it some. His dam is a first calf heifer, she is a Fat Butt x Steel Force heifer our son showed last year. We were not expecting RED, but darn he is cute! He was 82.6 pounds, 282 days gestation.

And his dam:

He has been slow starting. He did not try to stand for 2 hours, and we really started getting worried. He took his first meal at about 5 hours old, after a lot of work on our part. I got some colostrum and tubbed him, just because I was concerned he was not going to get enough in him soon enough. I am happy to report today, after church, he had a good meal, with help, on his dam. He is very slow to figure things out, and thankfully she is a really good mom who just patiently sits there while we get him latched on a teat.
So, so far so good. Live Ammo is a Red Charlie carrier, that is why he can throw red calves (he is HOMO Black!). It is unique to the Lock N Load line as far as I know. We always like a good red, and he seems to be that deep cherry red so far, and I love that too! That is our last Live Ammo calves until September.

Latest posts