Genex Bull Lad 20P-Working Clothes

Help Support CattleToday:

Northern Rancher

Reaction score
LAD022.jpg

Here's the Horned Herefordbull Ileased to Genex-he ran with 70 cows last summer then cleaned up an A'Ibunch of 200. Fraser's ran him out in the hills till January then brought himin and put him on hay. He got himself slicked up pretty well on just forage-the first daughters off him are starting to spring and look really good-lots of rib and neat tidy udders-I'm pretty happy with how things are going.

Good looking bull! You really get to see his thickness in this picture. I think I'd prefer this one over the catalog version anyday.

He's a CJH L1 Domino 552 son out of an OXH 8020 granddaughter-I sold Fraser's the 552 semen-the deal being I got to buy their best calf-I bought him on the strength of his mother-a very sound cow who can rustle out and still be productive. So far Lad has more than met my expectations for him. His first daughters are just starting to spring at Fraser's and look like they'll make good practical cows. Thank You to everybody for the words of encouragement on the bull.

Why won't the AI companies pick on more useful cattle rather than just the numbers/pedigree?

What was the significance of this bull to make Genex step out and doing something different?

It's a bit of a long story-I've worked in the A'I business for alot of years-first for Western Breeders-then Alta Genetics and now for Genex since they purchased Alta Genetics beef division a few years ago. I lobbied all through that time for having some good practical Hereford cattle in the lineup to sell to commercial men and the purebred breeders who still like soundness and doability. Lad's sire 552 worked very well and I sold alot of semen on him up here-Murray Fraser used him also and I was fortunate enough to get a chance to buy the Lad bull. His mother is a very good Horned Hereford cow-very good footed-not too big and very sound uddered. I just hope the company sells enough semen on him so that I'm not proven wrong. I think there is a place in the business for him-on the commercial side he'll calve well and make excellent replacement females-on the purebred side he'll take out birthweight and add alot of soundness. I'm just happy to have him available to use on my heifers and Angus cows to make some good females. His steers aren't all bad either lol.

Northern Rancher":xt6m23if said:
It's a bit of a long story-I've worked in the A'I business for alot of years-first for Western Breeders-then Alta Genetics and now for Genex since they purchased Alta Genetics beef division a few years ago. I lobbied all through that time for having some good practical Hereford cattle in the lineup to sell to commercial men and the purebred breeders who still like soundness and doability. Lad's sire 552 worked very well and I sold alot of semen on him up here-Murray Fraser used him also and I was fortunate enough to get a chance to buy the Lad bull. His mother is a very good Horned Hereford cow-very good footed-not too big and very sound uddered. I just hope the company sells enough semen on him so that I'm not proven wrong. I think there is a place in the business for him-on the commercial side he'll calve well and make excellent replacement females-on the purebred side he'll take out birthweight and add alot of soundness. I'm just happy to have him available to use on my heifers and Angus cows to make some good females. His steers aren't all bad either lol.

That's awesome, why not offer some functional Angus bulls that not only commercial but purebred breeders alike can use as not everyone is mesmerized by EPD's and pedigrees. Truthfully you know that lots of the bulls available won't truly benefit the business anymore than selling a dream

SEC you better pm me your phone number and we'll visit a bit on this subject. A couple bulls over the years that we marketed that weren't really mainstream but left good cattle were Pioneer 701 of EAR and Nichols Performa-I sold them out of Performa semen up here in fact. Just good solid bulls that left long lasting females.I think the Conneally Freightliner bull will prove out that way also. Alta Genetics threw the last of the 701 semen away in fact. A'I companies need to generate revenue and it's a fact that the latest and the greatest provide the most cash flow. Maybe there needs to be a section in the catalogue for bulls that maybe don't number as good but have other qualities.I'll take a cow that's average for twelve years over a chart topper whose dry at four. Nothing makes my blood boil more than hearing 'He's not good enough for the purebred sector but we can market him to the commercial industry.'

Northern Rancher":qv3vt4qn said:
SEC you better pm me your phone number and we'll visit a bit on this subject. A couple bulls over the years that we marketed that weren't really mainstream but left good cattle were Pioneer 701 of EAR and Nichols Performa-I sold them out of Performa semen up here in fact. Just good solid bulls that left long lasting females.I think the Conneally Freightliner bull will prove out that way also. Alta Genetics threw the last of the 701 semen away in fact. A'I companies need to generate revenue and it's a fact that the latest and the greatest provide the most cash flow. Maybe there needs to be a section in the catalogue for bulls that maybe don't number as good but have other qualities.I'll take a cow that's average for twelve years over a chart topper whose dry at four. Nothing makes my blood boil more than hearing
  • >>>'He's not good enough for the purebred sector but we can market him to the commercial industry.'<<<
your right about that..but alot of the commercial cattlemen only want too spend that much. their thinking pretty much is the same...... their low end bull's will work great on my ol' cows ..... but it will show up in thoses retained heifers.

Ohh commercial men will spend on the right semen-most are pretty astute-they let the purebred industry try all the greats. Then pit in and use a bull hard after he's proven and priced at a more affordable price.

Northern Rancher":1kogiwau said:
Ohh commercial men will spend on the right semen-most are pretty astute-they let the purebred industry try all the greats. Then pit in and use a bull hard after he's proven and priced at a more affordable price.

You're right about that, but you need to be excited about the bull yourself before you can market him to anyone else. I agree on Performa, good cattle that do a good job in being average and the best cattle always come from near average, no extremes that way. Performa would come up short in SC measurements. That is in my mind one of the great problems in marketing semen on the bulls, lots don't have any nuts. Commercial cattlemen need to see 34cm or better for them to get excited. I haven't seen enough Pioneer cattle to properly judge the bull. I don't mind the Fliner's but they will get common in their skulls, need some power behind them to. I liked the bull alot when I seen him in stud, pretty useful bull.

If you need any Freightliner semen I have about 100 doses in my tank that are available. I prefer to use some less mainstream genetics because there is less influence of the bull of the day club. We are currently using a AAR New Trend grandson out of a Viking cow that I think will do a lot of things right. EPD's are the shits but there are like 5 cows in his pedigree that weaned at least 12 calves some as high as 16 calves I believe. Won't win any shows but he offers many long term benefits.

P1010149.jpg

Here is exactly what we bought the Lad bull to produce-a good black baldy heifer calf born unnassisted from an Angus heifer-he really calves well. I flushed a Pioneer daughter to F'Liner to raise some bulls for myself. I might have to gather up some of that semen from you. Freighliners remind me a bit of the old Nichols L56 cattle-a bit plain headed but useful as heck.

Latest posts