Genetics

Help Support CattleToday:

FB-Maines94

Reaction score
Not sure if this completely fits this board criteria, but I thought it was close enough.

Can a breeder rely on his long-cultivated genetic base when breeding? For instance, I know someone who owns a bull that sure ain't much to look at but consistently produces show quality calves. He was raised in drought conditions as a calf, which explains his lack of good looks. His sire was a really good bull.

So I realize that, for the most part, one should not use poor lookers, but exceptions can be made, right?

If u want a good herd sire it is very important that u get a vet to do a breed soundness exam, usully $30 at sale barn. U have to know how well the bull is able to breed. He may look like a the best show bull ever, but if he does not pass a BSE reproductive test then u will get poor results in your herd. The most important thing you can do for your herd is reproduction. After all if u have no calf to sale then it doesnt matter if that bull was supposed to throw big nice calves at weaning, bc u aint got anything to sale. U have to make sure he is fertile. It may suprize most people, but 10% of bulls out there are infertile in sum way. So why risk all that money on a bull that mite not produce any money for you.

Yes !!
I used to buy from an experiment station........they always wanted me to pick one out of the pen. I wanted to look at the books and buy the best genetics. It was very seldom where the best looking was also the best genetics. :hide:

Flatbroke":16iq0lu8 said:
Yes !!
I used to buy from an experiment station........they always wanted me to pick one out of the pen. I wanted to look at the books and buy the best genetics. It was very seldom where the best looking was also the best genetics. :hide:
I worked at a ranch were the owner was a numbers guy. He couldn't pick a good cow by looking at her for the life of him. there are exceptions wear a poor looking animal will have good genetics and throw good calves, but by no means is that the rule.

Latest posts