Genetics

Help Support CattleToday:

ALACOWMAN

Reaction score
I'll never get them figured out as long as I live...calves that hit the ground this year are showing more Brahman influence then they have in a long time..and black ones, where they've been consistently grey for 20+ years...with a couple rats threw in the mix..all gone this season..

True Grit Farms":1ng45n2m said:
I'm always surprised at how well some matings click and others just don't.
me too.. Some out of your lower end cows.. Will have a better one then the upper...with certain Bulls ..,you say I can't wait to see this ol' girls baby. When the one you weren't expecting too knocks a homer...

Some of my best calves this year...has all the outward apprence of beefmasters...which i haven't had in 18 years...they look like throwbacks...""""and I'm not complaining by the way"""

The diversity in the genome of a cow is more than a person can imagine:

The size of the bovine genome is 3 Gb (3 billion base pairs). It contains approximately 22,000 genes of which 14,000 are common to all mammalian species.

But isn't that what makes breeding cattle fun and interesting? Seeing the difference in calves out of certain bulls and certain years.

Franke":27014zqj said:
But isn't that what makes breeding cattle fun and interesting? Seeing the difference in calves out of certain bulls and certain years.
That the thing .. My linebred bull has been consistent popping out calves that are typical Occ ..till this year.. It's like the cows are giving him a break :cboy:

Latest posts