genetics question?

Help Support CattleToday:

shadyhollownj

Reaction score
Hey everyone. Ok I am just geting into the whole ai process. I was looking at a bull I liked Class Act but I think I have a problem. Class Acts dad is dr world class and my bulls ( my heifers dad) grandfather is dr world class. Would it be too close to breed the new bull to my heifers since their great grandfather is dr world class? I really have no clue how close is too close. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

It depends on how good your bull is and how good the heifers are. You will be strengthening the genetics of the good and the bad to some degree. Not near as close as father to daughter or breeding half sibs but still there will be some influence.
By your question you seem to think there may be some freakish outcome because of inbreeding. Most of that is old wives tales. I have done this many times over with mostly good results. You just have to make sure you cull the bad ones out. Just like you should with breeding to total out crosses.

I would not be afraid to breed them - that's line breeding. If there were any genetic defects in the line, that's when you could have problems. If you are satisfied with the genetics and know they are clean, go for it. My original herd was a lot of Signal x Achilles X Signal cows. That would be Signal bred to his granddaughters. SUPER cows.

linebreeding and inbreeding don't 'cause' defects, they expose them. Perhaps if seedstock producers generally concentrated their bloodlines through linebreeding to expose potential problems sooner (and by extension 'prove' lines free of deleterious genes) instead of continual, terminal, within breed outcrossing the fundamental base of a breed would be of more value to the commercial producer who is, after all, our primary customer?

Latest posts