Genetically Engineered Corn May Reduce Fertility

Help Support CattleToday:

I've seen several things on this. One fella lost his whole hog operation due to sterility that supposedly came from this but I don't know whatever happened. Some of the things they can do is a little unnerving.

There was a fuss a few years ago. America had corn to send to African famine aid and Europe was blocking the shipments because they might contain GM corn.
Could have been a win-win.

john250":lm8340x7 said:
There was a fuss a few years ago. America had corn to send to African famine aid and Europe was blocking the shipments because they might contain GM corn.
Could have been a win-win.

Remember when they complained about us sending them cheese? Said it was surplus cheese that we didn't want so we were dumping it on them. Truth of the matter was that I was eating fake cheese at the time cause I couldn't afford the real stuff and ingrates refused it!

I haven't read the posted article, but I have written a paper on this subject before, so I do not know if the article covers anything other than reduced fertility. But an Austrian research institute had seen that fed over multiple generations the offspring were weaker and had a significantly higher mortality rate.

FarmGirl10":34etu11u said:
I haven't read the posted article, but I have written a paper on this subject before, so I do not know if the article covers anything other than reduced fertility. But an Austrian research institute had seen that fed over multiple generations the offspring were weaker and had a significantly higher mortality rate.

Are you sure of this?? Roundup ready corn hasn't been available for "generations" around here.

ga. prime":b6dyh6cm said:
talldog":b6dyh6cm said:
Lets feed it to Libs !!!!!! :banana:

Dancing banana is extremely gay, repulsive, and distracting from legitimate discussion.

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

I cloned him.

TexasBred":1othug1o said:
FarmGirl10":1othug1o said:

Are you sure of this?? Roundup ready corn hasn't been available for "generations" around here.
The tests they ran were on lab mice/rats, I'm going to pull the research up again when I have a little more time. The diet wasn't fully GM corn, only 40% of the corn fed was GM. But over 1,000 genes were expressed differently on third generation pups, the litters contained fewer, and they were significantly smaller. This was a long with the fertility problems, and a few other things that I cannot think of. I do not know for sure that the same "other problems" have the same effect on cattle, but i think its safe to assume that these problems will be showing up in dairy cows in the next few years.

TexasBred":expkbhxi said:
FarmGirl10":expkbhxi said:

Generations of mice, TB. At least I think that's what she refers to.

FarmGirl10":f6cweb26 said:
TexasBred":f6cweb26 said:
FarmGirl10":f6cweb26 said:

The tests they ran were on lab mice/rats, I'm going to pull the research up again when I have a little more time. The diet wasn't fully GM corn, only 40% of the corn fed was GM. But over 1,000 genes were expressed differently on third generation pups, the litters contained fewer, and they were significantly smaller. This was a long with the fertility problems, and a few other things that I cannot think of. I do not know for sure that the same "other problems" have the same effect on cattle, but i think its safe to assume that these problems will be showing up in dairy cows in the next few years.
Possible sympom of inbreeding.

ga. prime":1ntm4581 said:
talldog":1ntm4581 said:
Lets feed it to Libs !!!!!! :banana:

Dancing banana is extremely gay, repulsive, and distracting from legitimate discussion.

Yes, but with the most insightful comment from talldog, it is justified!

:banana: :banana: :banana:

Jogeephus":1c4x5gy4 said:
I've seen several things on this. One fella lost his whole hog operation due to sterility that supposedly came from this but I don't know whatever happened. Some of the things they can do is a little unnerving.
-

There are a lot of problems with fertility in today's hogs, PIC in particularly (the Camborough 22s could be dreadful at times). They had big litters but it does not take much being off for them to have 70% conception (or less). I would be hesitant to blame the corn.

Interesting topic. Makes one wonder. Can anyone name a non genetically modified corn plant?

I will have to see much more scientific, peer-reviewed evidence to believe this. The Center for Food Safety plays in the same ballpark as PETA. It is an alarmist organization that often bends the truth to support their cause.

Latest posts