genetic tests

Help Support CattleToday:

Son of Butch":2qn45bl6 said:
boondocks":2qn45bl6 said:
Ask any public health nurse if it's a good idea to raise people's insurance rates based on a positive STD test.
Government nurses aren't qualified to determine insurance rates, let alone any given random public health nurse.

I think you missed my point perhaps, or I wasn't clear. I was saying that public health nurses are in a good position to know what will motivate patients to get tested for an STD, versus not get tested (and vice versa). I didn't say anything about their determining rates per se.
Are you saying people who are concerned they may have an STD will be just as likely to get treatment even if they know their rates will go up if they get a positive result?

Son of Butch":2nhythtc said:
TexasBred":2nhythtc said:
hurleyjd":2nhythtc said:
Did you folks on here notice the R behind the name of the woman advocating the bill. And the D's against.
The only request the OP made was "no politiking" and you just couldn't resist.
An unfair request when the OP linked the entire basis of discussion to an article from a politics section of the news.

I didn't think it was an unfair request. I'd like to think we can have a civil discussion about a policy issue w/o getting into partisan debates. We need to be able to take off the "r versus d" blinders and look at these issues on their merits. IMHO anyway...

Since the government makes the laws and when a bill is split in the range of 94-100% along party lines.
The only rational expectation is politics. I don't understand why individuals seem to believe partisan discussions
aren't civil. I didn't think hurley pointing out a fact was uncivil or 'politiking'.

Son of Butch":uus132k0 said:
Since the government makes the laws and when a bill is split in the range of 94-100% along party lines.
The only rational expectation is politics. I don't understand why individuals seem to believe partisan discussions
aren't civil
. I didn't think hurley pointing out a fact was uncivil or 'politiking'.

I agree with you up to a point, Butch. But we are living in times where tempers flare (even on CT, where we are all fine gentlefolk lol) and I was trying to ask folks to not get the thread locked--to try to stick to the issue, not which party was for it or against it, but what YOU thought and WHY.

Can somebody help me get this discussion back on track? I lost where we were :cboy:

Nesikep":1vpt3p0f said:
Absolute overreach... If I can get fined and jailed for growing Roundup ready seed without 'permission'.. darned right my own DNA is mine... I can't believe there's even a debate about this HERE...
Well said, excellent point and I totally agree.

There's also the slippery slope of introducing something as 'voluntary', later to be made into law...
Don't get me started on Minnesota seat belt law which passed only on the condition of a safety warning with no fine and only to be issued on a stop for other traffic violation. Amended a few years later to $120 fine and police right to pull vehicle over if they have reason to believe you are in violation. Cop once stop and threatened me with a ticket sole basis was improper use of seat belt. Because the shoulder harness crossed into my arm pit rather than over my shoulder. I purposely did it bcs I was driving my brother's truck and when belt was over my shoulder it rubbed on my neck.

Gun control is another... it might save some lives.. lets force it on everyone now
IF life is number 1 concern, more lives would be saved by making it illegal to sell, manufacture or operate any vehicle capable of going more than 30 miles per hour.

Boodocks... I looked for a voice of reason to get you back on track. Sorry it had to be Canadian. :)
America's attic. :)

The future of practicing medicine will include genetic testing. It will help in determining what to use in treating different types of health problems. I would like to have genetic testing done to see if I am predisposed for things such as Alzheimers to be able to plan ahead for the future for my family. Also My long term memory is pretty good I remember when three way cross broke his ankle and thought even crippled and on a crutch he could probable whip my butt. Texas Bred spoke up and stated he was closer to me and would take care of it for three way. Only reason given was I was the liberal on here. Were they joking maybe they thought I was there for their entertainment if so I hope they got a laugh from it.

hurleyjd":3khj81nz said:
The future of practicing medicine will include genetic testing. It will help in determining what to use in treating different types of health problems. I would like to have genetic testing done to see if I am predisposed for things such as Alzheimers to be able to plan ahead for the future for my family. Also My long term memory is pretty good I remember when three way cross broke his ankle and thought even crippled and on a crutch he could probable whip my butt. Texas Bred spoke up and stated he was closer to me and would take care of it for three way. Only reason given was I was the liberal on here. Were they joking maybe they thought I was there for their entertainment if so I hope they got a laugh from it.

Getting a genetic test for your own edification is one thing, that information being passed around to other companies, or being forced to give that information out is totally different... Is the test going to be required in order to get any medical help?

Latest posts