genetic rye grass

Help Support CattleToday:

tm_bk20

Reaction score
Has anyone ever heard of or use a genetic rye grass call faster pasture from a seed&chemical distributor out of Bonham
Texas. Just curious to know if it grows like they advertise.

tm_bk20":2p3e8c86 said:
Has anyone ever heard of or use a genetic rye grass call faster pasture from a seed&chemical distributor out of Bonham

Rye is an annual grass for winter. You aren't planning to plant it now are you?

Here in N Tx, it is recommended to sow rye grass between Sept. 15 and Oct. 15. Probably same for you, depending on how much farther north you are. Is this "faster pasture" an annual or perennial type?

eric":30jjs2ew said:
Here in N Tx, it is recommended to sow rye grass between Sept. 15 and Oct. 15. Probably same for you, depending on how much farther north you are. Is this "faster pasture" an annual or perennial type?

I found a perennial "fast track" rye.
http://www.albrightseed.com/fasttrack.htm

I don't think perennial rye's work this far south. Just too hot for them. We can only do winter rye. Anyone know the shelf life of rye seed. I can get some for winter now pretty cheap.

flaboy":2butljqt said:
eric":2butljqt said:

I found a perennial "fast track" rye.
http://www.albrightseed.com/fasttrack.htm

I don't think perennial rye's work this far south. Just too hot for them. We can only do winter rye. Anyone know the shelf life of rye seed. I can get some for winter now pretty cheap.

Perennial rye doesn;t do much here either. But rye "grass" like marshall rye does spectacualrly.

dun

flaboy":32x1ingm said:
tm_bk20":32x1ingm said:

Rye is an annual grass for winter. You aren't planning to plant it now are you?

no. In late sept. or oct. if I plant it at all

eric":17b9jaao said:

It is the same for me. I called this place where they sell the seed, they told me it was a annual rye, then went on to tell me if I pulled my cattle off it 30 days before the growing season ended and let it head out cut hay off of it,some of the seed would fall back to the ground and come back next year.

I don't know of anybody that has actually tried the "Faster Pasture" ryegrass, but that outfit sure does a lot of print advertising. I've often seen their ad in the Texas Agriculture monthly newspaper (and elsewhere) --- and it reminds me of the ads the Worldfeeder guys used to run in the same newspaper. That doesn't mean that I think "faster pasture" ryegrass is a highly-hyped grass that produces very poor yields for most folks (as Worldfeeder apparently was) but I'd bet that one would have to be very lucky to get anywhere near the rate of growth that is advertised. I'd bet that it would take almost the perfect combination of soil type, fertilization, moisture and other growing conditions to get the advertised spectacular growth.

I made the mistake one fall of planting annual rye at my old house in the city. Man, I was out there every week having to mow that stuff, even in the dead of winter! I always thought it would be a good winter grass for my pastures, maybe I'll try it this yr.

eric":3vhzunwr said:
I made the mistake one fall of planting annual rye at my old house in the city. Man, I was out there every week having to mow that stuff, even in the dead of winter! I always thought it would be a good winter grass for my pastures, maybe I'll try it this yr.

Yeah, I don't know how it grows in Texas but we used to plant it ( rye grass) for the deer. I plan to put out as much as I can afford this year as I am just not happy with the condition of my cattle after the winter and I feed hay and liquid feed during the winter. Seems the fields just aren't producing like they were. I plan on doing some serious forage reconditioning next year.

tm_bk20":1j0e5ou9 said:

I have used it and it does grow like they say; am looking at using again.