genetic question

Help Support CattleToday:

rockridgecattle

Reaction score
I have a genetic question. Before someone mentions it this calf will not be kept as a bull

Here is the question. Can a bull throw a gentetic defect in the structure of the sac?

Here is the reason why
2007 calving season we had two bull calves that we could not band. It had 2 nuts but the sac was deformed in the way that it could not hold both nuts at the same time. It was like the sac was bottled necked...got the vet to cut them later just after weaning.
2008 calving season we had one calf from a different cow who has the same problem.
We have narrowed it down to one of two possible bulls. Now i have to go to the herd book and check the mommas. See if there is a relation between the three cows that produced a calf like this.
All our bulls pass a breeding soundness evaluation each year. It includes checking and measuring the sac. Neither of these bulls exhibit any sign of this.

Is it just a random thing? but if it were random would three calves in two years have it and we have never had this before.

edit: when the vet cut the first two, the nuts were not the same size. One was significantly smaller than the other.

here is the gentetic trace back....

I tried it gave me a headache...........kind of like understanding temporal mechanics on "Star Treks"
but in tracing back, alot can be traced to the line(in) breeding that was going on when we moved to the farm. Things of that nature stopped when we started to take ownership of the cows, but we have been seeing the fall out for many years now.
1. rat tailed calves...not so much any more...one a year....from cow raised during the line(in) breeding time on the farm
2 curly coarse haired calves...not so much any more....one a year....from cow raised during the line(in) breeding time on the farm
3. hairless calves, non in the last 8 years
4. calf with twisted jaw...non since '99
now we have to deal with nut problems....

This sounds similar to a cryptorchid (one or both testicles in the abdomen). I have seen plenty of "crypts" in other species that weren't abdominal retention just failure to descend into the scrotum. My suspicion is that it is genetic as crypts tend to be too.

Latest posts