Genetic Defects of Breeds

Help Support CattleToday:

BWA

Reaction score
Just interested to learn more about various genetic defects that exist in all breeds of cattle?

TH is a hot topic in the short horn breed right now. Tibial Hemophiala(sp) There is no genetic marker as of yet for TH.

HY is now being noted on the hereford registration papers. I think it has something to do with calves being born w/o hair. Hyprotrichosis

A google search will get you more info than you know what to do with on these 2 topics. Can't help any further.

Good luck in your quest for knowledge!

Black Angus have a genetic defect that makes them black instead of a more acceptable red.

dun

There are others in Holsteins but the one that was most common some years back was "mulefoot"

dun

certherfbeef":tvy3mb61 said:
TH is a hot topic in the short horn breed right now. Tibial Hemophiala(sp) There is no genetic marker as of yet for TH.

It seems to me like I read an article in the latest shorthorn magazine that said both Angus and Hereford can also carry the recessive TH gene. And since it only showed up in shorthorns recently and in outcrossed animals (* in registration number) it was believed that is where it came from.

It seems to me like I read an article in the latest shorthorn magazine that said both Angus and Hereford can also carry the recessive TH gene.

Goatlady, I just spoke with the angus association and there has NEVER been a reported case of TH in the Angus breed. As for the Hereford, I have never herd of any reported cases there either, but am waiting to get a hold of Jack Ward. My guess is that McDonald is pointing fingers at the the only 2 breeds who have not opened up their herd books to remove some of the heat from the shorthorns. So, as of right now, it is all hear say. -Missi

I just became aware of the TH defect in Shorthorns today. Happened to see a post on another board, and followed a link to a very good article. I had never heard of it before, but it sounds like something every Shorthorn breeder should be watching for. It also looks like a lot of the popular "Club Calf" sires may be carriers.

BWA":20i2ifkv said:
Just interested to learn more about various genetic defects that exist in all breeds of cattle?

Here are the links to the Hereford and Angus genetic defect sites. Neither one lists TH as a problem.

http://www.angus.org/pubs/defects.html
http://hereford.org/AHA/tabID__3569/tailored.aspx

I feel sure the Angus Association would answer any questions you wanted to call or email and ask. Probably the Hereford Assn, too. They are about the only two breeds that don't allow "breeding up."

Thanks for the links Frankie, I hadn't got around to it. Talked to the angus assoc and they said it is just a rumor that angus has TH. Jack Ward is the one to talk to at hereford and he is out till mon.

certherfbeef":2gr681io said:
Goatlady, I just spoke with the angus association and there has NEVER been a reported case of TH in the Angus breed. As for the Hereford, I have never herd of any reported cases there either, but am waiting to get a hold of Jack Ward. My guess is that McDonald is pointing fingers at the the only 2 breeds who have not opened up their herd books to remove some of the heat from the shorthorns. So, as of right now, it is all hear say. -Missi

Ok, Junior don't be havin a heart attach on me. Maybe I miss read the article. But don't you think it is strange that the outcross sires are the ones passing on the problem? Shish, if you look in a 6th or 7th edition of the Merck vet manual TH isn't even listed! I also wonder how many calves are born with the problem that are mis-diagnosed. Because having never seen one, the description sounds like some of the "crooked calf disease" calves from cows grazing wild lupine.

And what is the big deal about lethal genes that people won't admit they are in their back yard? If you know they are there you can breed around them, same as if you want polled animals. Do you remember back in the 70's when the Arab horse people figured out a recessive trait caused C.I.D.? How about the "lethal white" gene in the paint/pintos? Those two breeds are still alive and well.

Guess I'd best go find a rock to crawl under so you can calm down.
Have a great Friday the 13th!

goatlady":xfteidb4 said:
But don't you think it is strange that the outcross sires are the ones passing on the problem?

And what is the big deal about lethal genes that people won't admit they are in their back yard?

i also am not familiar w/any cases of TH in the hereford breed and i don't think there's any type of cover-up going on. as certherfbeef mentioned, the AHA now has a place on the registration papers to designate carriers of Hyprotrichosis.

it does seem to me since TH is an autosomal recessive trait that it would have shown up even more in the angus or hereford breeds because of the fact that they don't allow outcrossing.

OK first off I am no junior

Secondly, I simply stated facts rather than hear say. I talked to Angus and Hereford to get the FACTS before I posted. If these breeds do have a genetic problem I am confident they will handle it in the best possible way.

And Finally, one of the few things that brings my heart rate up is people like you running your mouth and not knowing the facts. Rumors need to stay at the little freddy 4-H er boards like showsteers and breeders world.

Latest posts