GeneStar results

Help Support CattleToday:

Dap

Reaction score
I sent a sample in on my Gelbvieh and angus bulls for quality and tenderness scores. I have the results of the top 25 AI Gelbvieh bulls to use as a comparison, but I can't find anything about what I should expect from the angus. Does anyone know of a list of angus results? Thanks.

Dap":uyqim5p8 said:
I sent a sample in on my Gelbvieh and angus bulls for quality and tenderness scores. I have the results of the top 25 AI Gelbvieh bulls to use as a comparison, but I can't find anything about what I should expect from the angus. Does anyone know of a list of angus results? Thanks.
Dap, where are you located in the Mid-Atlantic region? Take care.
:cboy:

Dap":177dy243 said:

As far as I know, there is not a list of Angus results to be referenced. The owners of the bulls can have them tested and then release the results or not.

I tried to find some statistical info on GeneStar results and when I called them to ask for it, they said they dont keep up with that info. it seemed highly unlikely to me that they wouldnt track that info, but that's what they told me.

GeneStar Breed Comparisons:

Here's a chart that Bovigen will not put out anymore.
I have posted this before; and several people commented,
but you must have missed it. Susan at your breed
headquarters sent me the chart when she worked
at GeneStar:

DNA_Chart012.jpg

Believe me, they do track the info---but it's bad for business
to put the info out & they will only tell you "british breeds
vs continentals" or some such wide-ranging comparison.

Even after all the hype by some, this is the first post that has got me to think even a little about Murray Grey's. Now can someone provide me a link to independently verify this? Not that I'm ready to make any big leap here, just interested in looking.

Thanks

How to verify the chart? Well, I guess you could call
Susan Willmon at the Gelbv association hq & ask her if
she really did send it to me. Our repr for GeneStar in
this area is Kevin Milliner - his phone is
806-679-7161. I think he will verify that they do not
issue these charts anymore---and that Susan gave it
to me prior to that policy change. The plus is that Kevin
and his family have also tried some Murray Grey beef.
The assoc website is http://www.murraygrey.org.
Send me a PM with your mailing address and I will mail
some more info to you. but it may be a couple of weeks,
as we are reprinting some literature now.

Bovigen Solutions and Genestar Testing

Here is a link that talks about what they do. If you give them a sire and a danm they will give you what they call a Genetic Progeny Differences. They used to publish the results of various breeds tested. They didnt interpret the results, but unintentionaly published them in a way that led people to believe the figures were an equal comparison. After lots of complaints they just quit making results public. (Their web site still has the link for it, so they might again sometime.)

http://www.bovigensolutions.com

While I dissagree with the interpretation of the chart published in the thread above; I checked it out trying to figure out if I could determine exactly how many animals for each breed were tested and why. The figures I could confirm independently through various breed websites were correct. I never was able to find out what I was looking for though.

Here is a real good link on the testing by Gelbvieh breeders.

http://www.gelbvieh.org/pdf/tendrness.pdf

Here is the thread link OK Jeanne was talking about.

Hope something here helps.

Re: how many animals were tested in each breed = over 100

why: because the owners wanted to know about their
animals tenderness genes.

---------------

On another angle, it is clear to me that only those breed
associations that subsidize the tests for their members
are able to REQUIRE that the test results that they are
helping to pay for end up being disclosed and used in
public statistics.

On the other hand, the chart above is totally anonymous
as to individual animals, so Bovigen can lump test results
together for statistical purposes without any legal
problem from the animal owners.

Thanks for the link provided for the tenderness article by Susan
Willmon for the Gelbvieh group--excellent article.
On the second page note the "British Breeds" composite
score, and note how much better the Murray Grey score
is on an individual basis in the chart above.

I did not see a link to the previous thread on this
subject.

The numbers on the chart above are understandably hard
for some to accept as statistically valid. If you are not
going to direct market beef, you probably would be more
interested in marbling than tenderness, if you were getting
paid by grade.

OK Jeanne":1bway80d said:
Re: how many animals were tested in each breed = over 100

Ok, so we know between 100 and infinity. Thats a big spread for statistical purposes. Especialy if one breed had 100 tested and another had 100,000. You cant compare statistics unless you are comparing the same number of tested animals in each breed.

OK Jeanne":1bway80d said:
why: because the owners wanted to know about their
animals tenderness genes.

But did they want to know because they thought they had a good animal and wanted marketing statistics or because they were trying to figure out if they were on the right track or not.

Im not saying Murray Grey isnt everything insinuated from the chart. Im just saying I dont believe the chart can be used as a survey analysis because we dont have all the information required to make determinations based on it.

Sorry about forgetting the link. Here it is. A lot of what was just discussed here was gone over in the previous link.

http://cattletoday.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23913

But did they want to know because they thought they had a good animal and wanted marketing statistics or because they were trying to figure out if they were on the right track or not.

I wanted to know on my Gelbvieh because I want to collect him and if he came back better than most Gelbvieh (he didn't) I was going to try to market some semen. The fact that he came back with only one star for tenderness won't change the way I use him on my farm. I wanted to check the angus more out of curiosity than anything. He's breeding all the gelbvieh sired cows and I'm hoping that he comes back with a few more stars, I should know this week. If he doesn't I'm not hauling him to the sale barn. I've eaten some pretty good steaks from the one star bull, so I'm not ready to make any major changes because of these results. [/quote]