GeneStar MVP's

Help Support CattleToday:

RD-Sam

Reaction score
What are your opinions about the new MVP's? They have taken away the star system and now all you get is an MVP and a ranking, so how do you approach fixing what you are lacking in without knowing which genes you are missing?

I have one that ranked in the top 10% for marbling, and several others that rank in the top 20-30% for marbling and tenderness.

you do more breedings till the percentage increases.

say you have two animals with 20%, but different markers.

on the other hand, epd's don't seem much different to me.

on the other hand, there will be more markers soon, and tracking 1000 markers will be hard to do, especially with each marker contributing less than 0.03% to the trait. there still could be more markers for the trait, so the % is still less than that.

i think they are just trying different things, because the number of markers is going to quickly get cumbersome.

then, there's other mechanisms responsible for traits besides DNA snps.

i'm kinda curious why there isn't markers for subtractive markers and avoiding those rather than just positive ones.

Personally, I think they should continue to give us the stars until they get the reliability better on the MVP's.

I'm seeing things that don't match up at all between the AAA EPD's and the GeneStar MVP's, so one of the two of them is seriously wrong, question is, which one?

RD-Sam":2mcw9hpr said:
Personally, I think they should continue to give us the stars until they get the reliability better on the MVP's.

I'm seeing things that don't match up at all between the AAA EPD's and the GeneStar MVP's, so one of the two of them is seriously wrong, question is, which one?
I've had geneticists tell me at school you're better off going with EPDs than the genetic markers. They said the EPDs are more reliable because they have better accuracies and are formulated from several gene combinations rather than just one gene.