GeneStar and AM testing

Help Support CattleToday:

RD-Sam

Reaction score
Finally got my results back on two cows for AM testing, they are AMF. :banana:
Got my Genestar results on one, she has two stars in Quality (10.19 GPD), four stars in Tenderness (-1.4 GPD), and three stars in Feed Efficiency (-2.1 GPD). They had a marker that didn't look right on the other cow and they are retesting her. I'm pretty happy so far. :cowboy:

RD-Sam":ousgwift said:
Finally got my results back on two cows for AM testing, they are AMF. :banana:
Got my Genestar results on one, she has two stars in Quality (10.19 GPD), four stars in Tenderness (-1.4 GPD), and three stars in Feed Efficiency (-2.1 GPD). They had a marker that didn't look right on the other cow and they are retesting her. I'm pretty happy so far. :cowboy:

That's great. We sent off blood this morning on the only questionable cow we have and her bull calf. I really don't know what we'll do with her if she's a positive. She's a nice young Midland cow, good disposition, good momma.

If she already raised a good calf and she is a carrier I wouldn't worry about it, just breed her to an AMF bull and test the calf. I'd say the odds of a dead calf in that instance would be very slim.

How does 9 stars rate for an angus, or have you done any Genestar testing?

RD-Sam":2roe9baz said:
If she already raised a good calf and she is a carrier I wouldn't worry about it, just breed her to an AMF bull and test the calf. I'd say the odds of a dead calf in that instance would be very slim.

How does 9 stars rate for an angus, or have you done any Genestar testing?

It's not the # of stars anymore it is the GPD # which appear to be average in all three categories.

Average for an angus? I've seen some Kobe beef that didn't have that good of results?

I don't know much about Genestar, but your results got me interested in the averages. According to this table,

http://www.geneticsolutions.com.au/cont ... ht=average

your cow tested above average for Angus in marbling, but below average for tenderness and feed efficiency. I don't know if this table is current or accurate, but it is the only thing I could find. Seems like Genestar would have sent you some breed averages. Also, the table suggests your cow would be significantly behind the average Wagyu in all three categories although it says you shouldn't use the table for between breed comparisons. Not sure if this helps.

Hmmm, that is something different, that may be the new test they have, I think it is called MVP?

The one I had done has 11 markers and 2 stars for each. Marbling is not one of the markers, instead it has Quality.

T1 T2 T3
FE1 FE2 FE3 FE4
QG1 QG2 QG3 QG4

In the MVP test, they talk about Marbling instead of Quality, and the MVP test includes the 11 markers from the test that I had done. I do know I have looked at Genestar results on quite a few of the top bulls in the breed, and this one cow is better than a bunch of them as far as stars go. http://www.pfizeranimalgenetics.com/pdf ... 3-6-09.pdf

I have only gotten the emailed results so far, they may send an explaination and a breed average in the mail, I don't know, because this is the first ones I have every had done.

The breed averages listed in the Genetic Solutions link are based upon the Australian test for tenderness. They test for 4 tenderness genes so 8 stars were possible while the US only has 3 tenderness genes that are validated. So the results for breed average on tenderness such as the 5.6 for Angus is 5.6 out of 8 not 5.6 out of six.

Latest posts