Genes

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

My holstein,charolais,Angus cross heifer is red with splashes of white but her parents were both black and white. What gene made her red? If a breed her to a black bull what color will the baby be? If I breed her to a red bull what color will the baby be?

[email protected]

lol... recessive genes. My brother told me that one out of one hundred black angus births is red... recessive genes. You breed to what you want and then keep breeding for the color you want. White is the hardest thing to remove from a herd, so you will get some pretty interesting throws no matter which color you are trying to get to. Last year, Dad walked out into his Limousin herd, having used a black bull and found a pure white calf... throw back to charlois that he had used umteen years ago.... hmmm.. maybe twenty years ago... I bred a red bull to three half sisters... two black, one red. One black calf is turning a dun color... the red threw a red, and the other black has LOTS of red in the black, so only time will tell.

[email protected]

That's an easy one. The bull and cow both had a recessive red gene and past it to the calf. If you breed her to a black bull, if the bull is homozygous black, two black genes, the calf will be heterozygous black. One red gene from the cow, one black gene from the bull. If the bull is heterozygous black, one of each genes, the calf will have a 50/50 chance of being red. If you breed her to a red bull, the calf will be red.

dunmovin farms

> My holstein,charolais,Angus cross
> heifer is red with splashes of
> white but her parents were both
> black and white. What gene made
> her red? If a breed her to a black
> bull what color will the baby be?
> If I breed her to a red bull what
> color will the baby be?

Dun is absolutely right. But to make it even more clear. Your cow has NO BLACK GENE in her. She inherited only the red genes. Black is a dominate gene. If an animal inherits a black gene, they will be black (or diluted black, like grey, chocolate, silver, etc). Jeanne
> That's an easy one. The bull and
> cow both had a recessive red gene
> and past it to the calf. If you
> breed her to a black bull, if the
> bull is homozygous black, two
> black genes, the calf will be
> heterozygous black. One red gene
> from the cow, one black gene from
> the bull. If the bull is
> heterozygous black, one of each
> genes, the calf will have a 50/50
> chance of being red. If you breed