generic ivomec

Help Support CattleToday:

badger":3h2chhzt said:
Has anybody used and were you asatisfied?

Never used but have listened to a vet talk about taking an egg count befor and two weeks after the genric was used and there was no difference. At the same time the name brand is also becoming less potent. I would go name brand or use a moxidectin product.

Try the search tab up top and type in ivermectin. It's been discussed quite a bunch already.

cfpinz

generic ivomec, or ivermectin, is all we have used for the last few years. seems to do the job at a much more affordable rate. we have been very satisfied

I used generic Ivomec for the first time last fall after always using name brand stuff like Ivomec, Dectomax and Cydectin. I will say that I would never use it again in my life. It was nothing more than colored water, it didn't even have an odor to it like the name brands do. My neighbor said I probably had a bad batch. This spring I never took any fecal samples but my cows were terribly loussy. It would take a lot to get me to use it again.

badroute":7xp8e5e2 said:
, it didn't even have an odor to it like the name brands do.

Most of the stuff we use smells like pure alcohol.

cfpinz

Some of the manufacturers use a mineral oil base, others use an alcohol, and or water base. The actual active ingredient, ivermectin is the same in ALL the brands as labeled. They are in fact apples and apples, EXCEPT when you are talking about name brand Ivermectin Plus, thats has an added active wormer for liver flukes, and also the time that you put them on, most alcohol and water based brands are very weather sensitive, meaning that any moisture will dilute or wash the material off.

We use the knock offs all the time. Jeffer's is selling it for less then $80.00 per 5 liter jug now! it has suited us just fine.

You may be getting some resistant parasites, that in fact would be no better treated then if you used a name brand of ivermectin.

Where did I get my information?

From a class that the NC State University put on for us this summer regarding parasite control.................it's getting harder and harder to get good control no matter what you use these days. They are finding that goats are the 'indicator' livestock to watch for resistance. Fecal counts are a must when trying to get good control. Use the same wormer until they don't work anymore, then switch. BUT not before, is what they are telling us. :cboy: